||October 29, 2021
||$50,000 to $55,000
ALM Media Legal Technology Reporter
What you’ll do: You’ll be tasked with reporting on the intersection of law and technology, covering everything from technology that lawyers use to its impact on the legal profession. This means writing about topics like artificial intelligence, e-discovery, blockchain, cybersecurity and the internet of things (among others) within the context of the legal industry. These are the primary coverage areas:
- Technology used by lawyers and how it’s redefining the profession, including product and trend news
- How the application of data analytics, AI, blockchain and other technologies and innovations are impacting the legal services market
- The companies behind the technology, including their investments, mergers and acquisitions, and major career moves
- Legal technology’s fast growing startup scene, comprised of companies across the globe
- The market for e-discovery technology and the opportunities, challenges and regulations facing e-discovery professionals
- Evolving federal, state and international regulations involving cybersecurity, privacy and technology, and what such laws portend for legal professionals
- Major litigation and case law impacting the technology space
- Live stories from industry conferences, written as well as documented through social media
Your work will primarily appear on Legaltech News and Law.com, though will often also be published in The American Lawyer, National Law Journal, Corporate Counsel, The New York Law Journal, The Recorder, and other local, national and international publications that operate under ALM Media.
About the Legal Technology Team: You’ll be joining a small, tight-knit team of reporters and editors operating out of different offices that provides legal tech coverage for ALM’s various publications. The team functions as a part of a fast-moving, aggressive and collaborative global newsroom that spans across three continents.
- Write at least one story a day and one enterprise a week
- Build a reliable network of sources from law firms, legal technology companies, and corporate legal departments
- Follow the legal technology beat, get scoops on major business, product, innovation and legal news
- Come up with ideas for both daily and enterprise coverage
- Write clean copy under tight daily deadlines
- Write features for ALM branded magazines and editorial projects
- Help in creating and analyzing datasets for editorial projects spearheaded by the legal technology team
- Collaborate with other editorials teams across ALM to develop a more holistic understanding of the legal market
- Travel to legal technology conferences across the country
- Maintain a Twitter account to build your reporter brand (can use existing Twitter account)
- Degree in journalism or communications, or relevant experience
- At least 2 years prior professional reporting experience preferred, but we’re open to recent graduates
- Background reporting on technology or the legal market is a plus, but not required
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks under strict daily deadlines; strong organizational and time management skills are a must
- Social media proficiency and experience with content management systems. Familiarity with WordPress is a plus
- Multimedia skills (podcasting, audio and video editing) are a bonus, but not required
Application Materials: cover letter, resume and three published clips. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021