|Date Posted||January 10, 2022|
|Salary||$40,000 to $45,000|
The reporter is responsible for researching, reporting and writing investigative and analytical stories and other content for chicagoreporter.com, public and media appearances to promote stories and participation in partnerships with other news outlets.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Monitor the public activities of local, county and state elected officials.
· Develop three probative government and/or political stories per week.
· Develop at minimum 2 non-feature stories per month.
· Develop 1-2 city or county budget analysis stories per quarter.
· Produce a minimum of four significant investigations a year and follow-up stories, charts or multimedia pieces.
· Perform other tasks assigned by editors.
The Chicago Reporter is a mission-driven organization that investigates race, poverty and income inequality. To perform this job successfully, an individual must support the mission of the organization and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism or related field.
· Minimum three years full-time reporting experience for a daily news organization.
· Demonstrated ability to develop story ideas, conduct public records searches and perform basic data analysis using Excel and other spreadsheets.
· Demonstrated ability to report stories that provide insight and analysis of public policy and its impact.
· Demonstrated knowledge and interest in racial and social justice issues and history.
· Familiarity with database programs necessary for research.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects on deadline.
· Ability to work collaboratively with others, both staff and outside media partners.
· Effective problem solving skills.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This a regular full-time position and hours of work will vary based on reporting needs.
Local travel is required for reporters to obtain content for their stories and promote their work.
Must be able to speak, read and write English with high proficiency. Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
Basic computer skills such as knowledge of Microsoft Word and other products. Working knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Excel or Access. Also demonstrated use of social media.
Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret data for news.
Strong personal commitment to the Reporter’s mission.
Willingness to work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends
Job Type: Full-time
Currently working remotely.
Send your resume to this employer.