|Date Posted||May 23, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
|Required Education||Associate's Degree|
Cap City News is seeking a Cheyenne-based reporter to help us create fresh, relevant and timely news content for the citizens of Cheyenne and southeast Wyoming.
An exciting position in Cheyenne, our Community Reporter creates content on a daily basis, proactively working to increase visibility and reader engagement with city-related news, breaking news, crime, courts and school board news. As Community Reporter, you’ll use your writing, editing and photography skills to deliver timely and accurate information to our community. You’ll primarily cover city and county news, along with select local boards and activities. You’ll also facilitate conversation among community members, serving as the voice of one of the area’s fastest growing news platforms. The Community Reporter is an active participant within the community and your work will be seen by thousands of people each day.
Essential functions of this role include: working as a member of a small news team to effectively cover city news, ability to create timely and accurate content, managing multiple assignments each day, interviewing community members, covering community events, writing short feature stories, writing news summaries and reporting to a managing editor. You’ll be supported in your endeavors by an existing full-time general-assignment reporter in Cheyenne, as well as a news team located in nearby Casper and Gillette, Wyoming.
- Experience or formal training as a journalist covering local interest news, features and events in a community similar to Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to Cheyenne, Wyoming or nearby communities.
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write quickly and accurately
- Experienced social media user
- Passionate about the community
• Create original content for Cheyenne online-only news platform CapCity.news.
• Attend press conferences, briefings, public meetings
• Attend community events
• File reports from the scene of breaking news
• Edit and prepare reader-submitted tips for publication
• Upload/publish content on digital platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube
• Contribute to community promotion, engagement strategies and tactics related to the brand
• Monitors discussions, resource postings, and trends within the community and on brand platforms; identifies and reports usage trends and advises on potential opportunities
• Networks with community members
• Coordinates with future support staff to ensure high level of quality and community engagement
• $38-$48k starting salary, depending on experience
• Paid vacation
• 10 paid holidays each year including New Years Eve, New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, ThanksGiving Day, Black Friday, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve.
• Health and Dental insurance.
• IRA (employer matches your contributions)
Cap City News is owned by Oil City News LLC (http://www.oilcity.news), an independent publishing company with community news teams throughout the state of Wyoming. We’re located in the heart of Wyoming, which means you’ll have extensive access to fresh air and the great outdoors, including mountains, lakes, state/national parks and miles of great trails.
To apply, send your resume and at least three samples of your work to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. TELECOMMUTERS NEED NOT APPLY