|Date Posted||October 08, 2021|
|Salary||$70,000 - $80,000|
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The New Jersey State AFL-CIO Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communications strategies to represent the interests of the labor movement and advance the social and economic wellbeing of all New Jersey’s working families through political, legislative, and digital engagement. Other key responsibilities include managing content for core websites and social media accounts; grant writing; and interfacing with press, elected officials, labor leaders, and rank-and-file members.
The New Jersey State AFL-CIO and its 1,000 affiliated local unions represent more than one million union members and their families, working collectively to promote middle class values at the workplace, in our communities, and through the democratic process.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
• Develop messages and communications support for state political, organizing, and legislative campaigns as well as other programs and mobilization activities.
• Monitor press coverage of labor and workers’ issues and identify opportunities to generate earned media opportunities and garner media coverage.
• Distribute content to reporters regarding workers’ issues and New Jersey State AFL-CIO initiatives.
• Organize press conferences and events to promote the work of the State Federation.
• Develop, write, edit, and distribute internal and external communications materials, such as sample letters to the editor, op-eds, online advocacy campaigns, and newsletters.
• Draft talking points, general correspondence, fact sheets, press statements, and other essential communications with the ability to adapt messaging to target audience.
• Utilize social networking tools, including Facebook and Twitter to educate, connect, and engage union members, progressive allies, and community stakeholders.
• Implement rapid-response and issue-based communications plans for the state.
• Work will be done on-site at the New Jersey State AFL-CIO office.
• 5 years or more related experience.
• Superb writing, editing, and time management skills.
• Knowledge of the political process and overarching labor issues.
• Proficient in Microsoft office programs, word, excel, and power point.
• Experience working in fast-pace environments.
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, verbal, and problem solving skills.
• Strong analytical skills, well-organized, thorough and attentive to details.
• Ability to handle multiple large-scale projects at once and work under tight deadlines.
• Ability to take initiative on projects and work with a can do attitude.
• Ability to work long and extended hours including weekends.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The New Jersey State AFL-CIO offers a generous package of benefits including vacation and sick days, healthcare, dental, retirement, and life insurance.
The New Jersey State AFL-CIO is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a staff that provides the best quality services. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cover Letter
• Three (3) letters of recommendation/references
• Three (3) writing or design samples (press release, graphic, flyer, or other pieces) that demonstrate your messaging skills.