Public Safety Reporter
The Visalia Times-Delta/visaliatimesdelta.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy multimedia reporter to cover public safety and breaking news in a city bursting with urgent stories.
This beat focuses on crime, police and fire, general assignment and daily stories with responsibility for real-time digital reporting that is competitive, insightful and accurate. In addition, coverage will include broader trend stories on crime and justice and personal stories from the beat.
Our coverage priorities for this beat have recently been overhauled as part of a commitment to approaches that bring more value and compassion to our community. This is a great job for a high-energy individual with a nose for news who can generate clean copy and update stories quickly for digital audiences.
Visalia is in the middle of the state and is known as the Gateway to the Sequoias. The city of 136,000-plus people has a vibrant downtown and is centrally located between Fresno and Bakersfield. The agriculture-rich Tulare County, where Visalia and Tulare sit, is located within two hours of the Central Coast and a short drive to Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite national parks.
The Visalia Times-Delta and its sister paper, Tulare Advance-Register, cover a wide variety of topics, beats and report from areas around Tulare County.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our Central California audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Use digital tools and public records to quickly find background information on people, businesses, places and other subjects on a breaking news deadline.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivate a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the subject matter and key players. Have a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Write breaking news articles, enterprise and trending stories, and traditional long-form features.
- Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to produce and optimize visuals.
- Host videos, Facebook Live appearances, and podcasts.
- Engage with readers through social media platforms.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years reporting/newsroom experience preferred but not required.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- A passion for news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- An understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- An understanding of the digital-first mission.
- A knack for collaborating with others.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021