||September 23, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
The Denver Post is seeking a well-rounded reporter to become a member of its business team. Candidates must be self-starters and willing to cover a range of topics -- from commercial real estate developments, to openings and closings of businesses, to the latest retail trend and more. We care about what consumers are interested in and what they’re talking about. Our ideal candidate has at least five years of reporting experience, some of it handling business news, and a demonstrated ability to see the bigger picture and turn breaking news stories into deeper enterprise pieces. The ability to work on multiple projects at the same time while also developing sources is a must. Experience finding stories in data that are sophisticated enough for a business-savvy reader but accessible enough for a general audience is a plus.
- Develop news sources and look for and create news story ideas in coordination with assignment editor
- Research, observe surroundings and conduct interviews over the telephone and in person to gather pertinent information for news stories.
- interact with colleagues in a professional manner.
- Organize information and write an accurate, clear, interesting and grammatically correct story while meeting deadlines. Produce stories of varying complexity and form.
- Seek out and report news for immediate publication on the Post’s digital platforms or for print publications.
- Discuss story formulation with editors and edit or rewrite stories, as necessary.
- Develop sources and check with them on a regular basis to break exclusive news.
- Use digital tools and social media to report and promote Denver Post material.
- Understand and implement SEO techniques to ensure content reaches largest online audience. Stay abreast of latest trends.
- Create and curate content for a dynamic web presence.
- Request appropriate photos, video and graphics for stories; work closely with visual journalists to provide clear explanations of assignments. Shoot photos and videos when necessary and transmit them promptly for digital publication.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Basic photo and video skills.
- Basic understanding of standard curation techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media tools
- Strong reporting and writing skills
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly to meet deadlines
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to travel to report events
- Prior newspaper experience preferred.
Physical Working Conditions:
- Stand 25%, walk 25%, sit 25%, drive 25% of shift
- Enter stories on various systems, including laptop and desktop computers and handheld devices approximately 50% of shift.
- Travel to and meet with individuals on the scene.
- Take notes while interviewing news sources (both over the telephone and in person)
- This job operates in a professional office environment and at the Company and client sites for business meetings and presentations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This position may be a permanent remote role.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 30 pounds.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021