||September 22, 2021
||Magazines / Publishing
||$80,000 to $85,000
Founded in 1970, we are the premier global publisher and the essential source of news and analysis for over 150,000 tax professionals, with correspondents in more than 125 countries, and a staff of almost 200. Tax Notes is the name of our publications. You can get an idea of our work at www.taxnotes.com. We’re a team that is passionate about bringing transparency to tax systems, and just as passionate about cultivating an environment that embraces collaboration and innovation.
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- relaxed dress code and pet friendly -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community. We're proud to have been named a Top Workplace in the D.C Metro area by the Washington Post, and a Top Workplace by Energage in 2021. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package.
Learn more about who we are - visit our LinkedIn Company page and our Top Workplace page. Scroll down to the end of the posting to see how our employees describe the culture of the Editorial team.
We are recruiting a Legal Reporter to join our Tax Notes Today Federal team.
Work may be performed remotely until telework status changes (currently on telework until October 4th). Work is normally performed in the Falls Church office, Mon-Fri, flexible start time.
SUMMARY: Based in corporate office, works independently, often from various locations, to write tax-related news stories for the Tax Notes Today Federal news publication. Attends scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events, conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Cultivates sources and follows leads to scoop industry competitors. Has a law degree and generally has or develops a particular area of technical tax expertise to identify trends and spot the news.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet editorial objectives.
- Attends, writes, and reports on scheduled tax-related events with government speakers, hearings, court decisions, industry press conferences, and other events as assigned with ability to tailor writing style as appropriate.
- Writes and develops news stories and analytical articles for print and electronic publications. Able to grasp and cover complex tax topics frequently under deadline pressure, zeroing in on what matters without dumbing it down. Proactively seeks out story ideas while balancing daily assignments.
- Identifies, tracks, and prioritizes developments in assigned beat to ensure competitive coverage in print and online. Helps out team but is independent and motivated.
- Collects information by regularly speaking with top practitioners and government officials, attending industry events, obtaining relevant source material, and researching tips and leads.
- Communicates story ideas, provides updates on writing assignments, and responds promptly to queries during editing process. Attends regular editorial meetings.
- May be required to travel to cover tax-related events in other cities.
- Adheres to established publication deadlines and style protocols (daily deadline is generally 5 PM)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Solid grounding in tax law fundamentals; ability to wade through complicated topics to identify insights valuable to our subscribers
- Strong writing skills with an attention to detail and diligent sourcing essential
- Superior communication skills to effectively interact and develop source relationships with top government officials and their staffs, academics, lobbyists, and tax practitioners
- Ability to write clearly and quickly under daily deadline pressure and work as a team to adjust to changing priorities
- Beat reporting experience a plus
- Must be able to use a laptop to connect to network remotely, follow-up promptly with email inquiries from editors (particularly when working remotely), and transfer stories in a timely manner
- Must be capable of aggressively pursuing all angles of a given story
- Must be willing to travel
- Demonstrated dependability through punctual attendance (in corporate office or at assigned location)
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021