||September 12, 2021
||Magazines / Publishing
The Editorial Assistant helps the Director of Publishing to manage the production of books for UTG clients. This includes working directly with clients and our in-house team, as well as external contractors, to produce books based on UTG principles of lead generation. The selected candidate will have solid editorial experience and excellent project management skills with a keen eye for details; will demonstrate the ability to make decisions and solve problems independently while being a key team player; will have a strong commitment to continuous learning; and will embrace and respect the diversity and cultural differences of clients and colleagues.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communications and the ability to remain calm and concise under pressure from publishing deadlines and key stakeholders
- Sufficient experience in leadership, publishing and editing, business strategy, and marketing to thrive in the complex and changing responsibilities of the job
- Strong initiative to offset problems and institute advances, along with a solid history of accuracy, completeness, timeliness and efficiency in delivering on accountabilities
- Intellectually engaged and curious and emotionally intelligent, with an excitement for business books, editing, publishing and project management
- A positive, engaged, respectful, and committed attitude towards collaboration, coworkers and company with a willingness to learn new systems
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Director of Publishing with standard administration tasks to maintain ongoing progress with client book projects. This includes, but is not limited to, calls, emails and questions from clients and ghostwriters, the routing and tracking of revisions, and the maintaining of overall project quality while keeping on schedule.
- Facilitate communications and address issues arising with all stakeholders, both internal and external, during the book process to ensure books are delivered in a professional and timely manner. This includes, but is not limited to, writing examples of how to approach content creation and offering suggestions on image selection, inputting and retrieving data into company systems to ensure accurate project schedules, and ensuring that all books adhere to overall UTG process and business formula.
- Collaborate with our in-house team to ensure books progress through the different stages of the book process as seamlessly as possible. This includes, but is not limited to, transcription requests, chapter uploads to clients, client book revisions, basic copyediting and proofreading, book covers, ISBN acquisition, images and photos, copyright clearances, typesetting, printing and overall quality control.
- Join in regular online UTG team meetings, in addition to ongoing meetings with other management team members as requested
- Perform other duties as needed to meet departmental goals
- Be available in Australian work hours
The ideal candidate exhibits good self-leadership and is proactive, receptive to feedback and learns quickly. Also a strong communicator & relationship builder with the ability to balance varying responsibilities. Proven skills in copyediting are required; some experience in structural or developmental editing is a definite plus.
This role is 100% remote.
- 3-4 years of editorial experience, ideally in business communications or publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented project manager
- Proficient in systems such as Microsoft Office Suite, Slack, Monday and Zoom
- Proven ability to be a collegial and effective member of a team
- Ability to read and comprehend complex material
- Ability to solve intellectual problems using established rules, procedures, and precedents
- Ability to handle sensitive material and situations with discretion
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or English; native English speaker
Minimum Experience: 3 years of related editing and project management experience
Physical Capabilities: Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
How To Apply: Applicants need to send a one-page cover letter describing their interest and qualifications. This is the first step; if selected to move forward, there may be additional interviews and/or tests to determine company fit and level of editing skill. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021