||July 19, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires, Magazines / Publishing
The Chronicle is seeking a dynamic Director of Marketing and Digital Strategy to join our Content Revenue team. The Director will be responsible for cultivating relationships with the audiences of The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy and all associated brands. Primarily, this will include driving increased audience engagement, building upon paid-subscriber growth and retention strategies, as well as managing all marketing planning and implementation of online product marketing and pricing to achieve engagement and revenue goals. In this role, the Director will monitor key performance indicators, analyze results, and make recommendations on product development and strategy. The Director will work collaboratively with team members and subject matter experts to cultivate and fully implement the strategy throughout the organization.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Chronicle of Higher Education has taken appropriate measures to ensure the safety of its staff members. We are currently working remotely with a focus on the safety, health, and wellbeing of our employees. This role will begin remotely until it is safe to return to the office and will ultimately be based out of our Washington, DC office.
- Implement a multi-year content revenue strategy to grow audience engagement, site registrations, newsletter circulations, print and digital subscriptions, and online products with defined metrics and goals in coordination with the Associate Publisher
- Manage the multi-channel execution of all new business promotion efforts including, but not limited to, online targeting, banner ads, email, social, SEO, and direct mail
- Manage the execution of promotion plans for ancillary content products such as reports, webinars, workshops, data, content collections, etc.
- Manage content aggregator relationships and reprint and permissions partners
- Work collaboratively with Associate Publisher and colleagues to develop new marketing strategies, keeping current on best practices and innovative tactics
- Manage subscription retention campaigns including, but not limited to, auto-renew, prescheduled mail and email notices, online targeting, and telemarketing programs
- Determine chronicle.com and philanthropy.com product development priorities to ensure alignment with a subscriber-first strategy including needs, goals, and technical requirements
- Using trends and insights from data to evaluate end-to-end customer experience across multiple channels to initiate products and features that grow our audiences and digital revenue
- Collaborate with Editorial, Technical, and Business Solutions’ teams to drive traffic, user registration, and paid conversions to all products
- Lead, participate in, and contribute to cross-functional strategic teams, working groups, task forces, and initiatives
- Create yearly Content Revenue marketing budget and manage financial reconciliations monthly
- Strategically analyze and interpret all audience data, including, but not limited to, print promotion analyses, web analytics, total audience analysis, and regression/profiling analysis
- Manage and develop circulation forecasts using Webber Model or other forecasting tools
- Develop and manage Content Revenue marketing staff
- Oversee and approve day-to-day activities and marketing efforts
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or Management or related area of study; or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 7+ years of experience working in subscription or membership marketing with an emphasis on acquisition, engagement, and retention
- Ability to build strong relationships with academic and nonprofit audiences
- Exceptional integrated direct marketing skills
- Strong digital marketing acumen including SEM/SEO
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to lead and motivate a team and provide formal and informal feedback
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of working cross-functionally, preferably with editorial, technical, product, creative, and sales teams
- Analytical thinker with a strategic and innovative approach
- Encourages a results-oriented culture that is strong in tracking sales and promotions, ROI, and campaign results
- Collaborative, flexible and collegial team player able to operate at all levels of the organization
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding revenue goals
- Consistently demonstrates a sense of urgency, decisiveness, and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, innovative environment
How to Apply:
We’d love to hear from you. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Marketing and Digital Strategy” in the subject heading.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive, and we offer excellent benefits and 5 weeks of vacation.
The Chronicle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Apply Online (select an option):
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you have listed on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021