||June 09, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
POSITION TITLE: Editor, OC Catholic
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Tracey Kincaid, Director of Communications
The role of the Editor of the Orange County Catholic newspaper is to work closely with the Bishop of Orange, and the Executive Editor to achieve the stated mission of the official diocesan weekly print and electronic newspaper – to illuminate and animate the journey of faith for Catholics within the Diocese of Orange - building solidarity among the faithful and inviting a deeper understanding and involvement in the mission of Christ - through the timely sharing of news, commentary and feature content in an engaging, accessible and compelling format.
The scope of the Editor’s work is to manage the execution of all tactical elements of the editorial and production partnership with the Orange County Register Custom Content team. These elements include:
- Developing assignments for freelance staff
- Editing original content from freelance staff
- Generating original diocesan content weekly
- Two diocesan news articles per week
- Two Catholic School articles per week
- Ensuring editorial calendar is developed and managed
- Working with the executive editor to plan all editorial
The Editor position reports to the Executive Editor and partners closely in the review and approval of all content at the three tiers of the edit process – in draft, in layout and prior to print.
- Ensure OC Catholic aligns with the Diocesan Strategic Plan.
- Ensure OC Catholic meets all critical editorial and production deadlines.
- Develop content that supports the mission of the Bishop and closely adheres to and supports Catholic doctrine.
- Create editorial that through careful editorial planning seeks to engage and inform Catholics and drive the mission of the newspaper.
- Manage third party content creators to develop high quality usable content befitting the OC Catholic and its mission.
- Consistently meet all editorial and production deadlines
- Consistently represent the Church and interview subjects accurately.
- Editorial direction of third party writing supports the mission of the Church and newspaper and is true to the tenants of the Catholic faith.
- Consistently meet all tactical elements of position scope.
In addition to the editorial duties related to the newspaper, the editor also is responsible for:
- Edit content for the RCBO site and update as requested
- Post job descriptions on the RCBO site for the HR department
- Review and edit the Global email twice weekly
- Review and edit the Shepherds Update twice weekly
- Prepare, edit and deploy Connect weekly
- Prepare, edit and deploy the OC Catholic newsletter weekly
- Deconstruct the digital files for OC Catholic and reconstitute them for posting on occatholic.com
- Resize all photos from the digital files for OC Catholic for posting on occatholic.com
- Deconstruct the digital files for OC Catholic Español and reconstitute them for posting on es.occatholic.com
- Resize all photos from the digital files for OC Catholic Español for posting on es.occatholic.com
- Post daily content to occatholic.com
- Post daily content to es.occatholic.com
- Proof social media posts when requested
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- B.A. Degree in Journalism
- Newspaper editing experience
- Deep understanding of the Catholic faith
- Skilled in backend website work so as to edit and upload content including photos.
- Some understanding of print production, design and layout
- Spanish speaking
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Typical Working Conditions:
Typical office environment.
Basic computer equipment, keyboard, mouse, telephone, copier, facsimile, calculator and paper shredder.
Essential Physical Tasks:
Communicate, move, remain stationary, reach, occasionally carry materials as needed weighing up to 30 lbs.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and references to Tracey Kincaid, email@example.com
Apply Online (select an option):
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you have listed on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021