|Date Posted||June 07, 2021|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||High School Diploma|
LAMPASAS DISPATCH RECORD -- Seeking a self-starter, detail-oriented, positive-attitude sports reporter/photographer for a sports-crazy Central Texas county. We provide engaging, in-depth coverage of sports in Lampasas County.
• twice-a-week community newspaper
• cover all sports for the two school districts in Lampasas County (Central Texas)
• Lampasas Dispatch Record page on Facebook
• Integrity, accuracy and community trust in the Dispatch Record are extremely important to us! We'd love to hear how you embody those characteristics.
• full-time, salaried sports editor
• position open immediately; open until filled
KEY JOB DUTIES:
- Fill 2-4 sports page per edition (Tuesday and Friday editions) with your original, highly local content -- captivating stories, photos and/or graphic elements
- Display initiative and take ownership of the sports section. You generate the story ideas and determine the coverage prioritization, within the Dispatch Record's broad principles for sports coverage.
- Take active and/or feature photos to accompany majority of stories; enhance pages with sports graphics you create (or that you sketch for our graphic designer to create)
- Lay out all sports pages via InDesign
- Pitch in to help us meet publication deadlines (Mondays and Thursdays at noon). Fact-check your sports copy in advance, follow copy editor's proofreading marks on sports pages, and export PDFs of all sports pages.
- Coordinate with freelance sports photographers, and cultivate a bullpen of new freelancers as needed (within freelance budget set by editor/publisher team). There are numerous games and meets to cover, and we know you can't be everywhere at the same time!
- Produce all content for, and layout out all pages for, the Fall Sports Preview special section each August
- Lead the writing and photography for Hunters' Edition tabloid (approx. 50 pages) each October. Coordinate with freelancers, and cultivate a bullpen of new freelancers, as needed (within freelance budget set by editor/publisher team).
- Night and weekend work required
- Post breaking sports stories and photos to newspaper website as needed
- Bonus points if you have video and/or advertising skills. We would love to add sports video -- and drive revenue from it!
KEY TOPICS YOU WILL COVER:
• Lampasas Independent School District sports (UIL Class 4A) -- priority on high school varsity sports; secondary focus on JV, freshman and middle school sports
• Lometa Independent School District sports (UIL Class 1A) -- priority on high school varsity sports; secondary focus on JV, freshman and middle school sports
• sports-related feature stories and feature photos
• assist with non-sports news/feature coverage as needed (mostly from late May to early August, when local sports action is light)
SALARY RANGE: $35,000-$37,500 per year
• paid time off available after 60 days of employment; PTO increases w/ tenure to max of 4 weeks/year
• retirement plan; company matches up to 3% of salary
• 8 paid holidays per year
• mileage reimbursement for out-of-town assignments
HOW TO APPLY:
• Email Publisher David Lowe at email@example.com.
• Please include:
- Work samples that highlight your sports writing and sports photography. (If you're new to journalism, that's OK -- as long as you work hard and have integrity! Just show us your writing and photography skills!)
- Brief cover letter (100-250 words) to tell us about you, your goals and what motivated you to apply for this position
- Professional and/or personal references (non-family members)
ABOUT OUR COMMUNITY:
• Lampasas city population about 8,000; county population about 30,000
• nearby major cities:
- Killeen/Fort Hood (25-minute drive)
- Austin (1 hour)
- Waco (1.5 hours)
- San Antonio (2 hours)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (2.5 hours)
- Houston (4 hours)
• low cost of living
• no state income tax
• mild weather
• safe area
ABOUT THE LAMPASAS DISPATCH RECORD:
• family-owned newspaper (in its 116th year of publishing)
• currently 7 full-time staff members + a few freelancers