The Media Relations Manager will lead, plan and implement media relations for the organization’s work in impact litigation, policy advocacy, research and program delivery. This is a new position that will serve as an integral member of a three-person Marketing Communications team. The Marketing Communications team aims to elevate the profile of our organization and its impact and destigmatize the populations we serve while illuminating the harm they experience from current systems.
- Engage in proactive and reactive media relations planning and outreach.
- Establish and maintain relationships with reporters and editors.
- Implement media tactics such as deskside briefings, op-eds, press releases and editorial boards.
- Conduct media trainings for internal and external spokespeople.
- Interface with multiple teams to coordinate and develop messaging and strategy for media opportunities.
- Track, measure and report media relations outcomes to the Marketing Communications team and internal teams.
- Minimum seven years demonstrated success pitching and placing stories and op-eds in national and local media outlets or a minimum of seven years experience as a journalist covering stories for national and local media outlets.
- Demonstrated Associated Press style writing and editing skills.
- Fluency in conversational Spanish preferred.
- Commitment to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a racial justice lens.
- Demonstrated success pitching and placing stories in Spanish-language media outlets or publish stories for Spanish-language media outlets.
- Experience developing key messaging in partnership with internal or external clients.
- Experience training spokespeople to interface with media.
- Ability to distill complicated issues and information into compelling messaging.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and meet immediate deadlines.
- Effective communicator and collaborator.
- In-depth knowledge of or experience with civil rights and racial justice issues.
- Experience in media relations for policy advocacy and / or impact litigation work.
- Experience working with coalitions or multiple partner organizations to coordinate and launch communications campaigns.
Salary, Benefits and Location
This is a full-time, exempt, position with a competitive salary of $113,910.00 annually. NCYL provides robust benefits package including health, dental, vision, life insurance, generous vacation and sick benefits, flexible spending account, commuter benefits, employer contribution to a retirement plan, short-term and long-term disability insurance, mental health support, college savings and other discounts and perk programs.
This position requires the ability to work remotely and will require travel.
Must live in proximity to or be willing to relocate to the Los Angeles, Oakland, Washington DC areas.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample in AP style to apply. No phone calls or emails please.
Apply at: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Apply/505975/National-Center-For-Youth-Law/Media-Relations-Manager
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021