||May 04, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
The Statehouse Bureau Chief position is unique in the Ohio Newspapers group. The role combines the skills of our top investigative and enterprise reporters with the ability to initiate the coverage plan around state government and its direct impact on the Dayton region. The Bureau Chief is a content leader; the person in this role will take direct supervision of an annual intern and have dedicated time weekly to direct, and at times edit, coverage done by Dayton-based reporters that stems from state government actions. The person must be accurate, methodical, detailed, highly skilled in delivering journalism through their own hands and able to teach others through mentoring and guidance in producing digital and newspaper content that leads to reader understanding and engagement about important issues affecting their lives.
- Providing direction for coverage of state government, the legislature and state politics across all three Ohio newspaper brands which leads to the regular production of stories that focus on issues, events and people that have unique impact on Dayton readers.
- On a regular basis meet with a rotation of reporters, directing and guiding their execution of impactful stories that stem from state government and which directly impact Dayton-area readers and communities.
- Oversee and directly guide the output of a fall-season statehouse intern to support the work of the bureau chief.
- Will develop story ideas that inform Dayton-area readers about specific impacts on their lives of events, actions and news of the Ohio state government and legislature.
- Will be responsible for producing well-written stories using appropriate visuals – photos, charts, video – to engage subscribers in our digital sites.
- Has versatility in writing approaches and story forms and will be responsible for delivering stories without significant inaccuracies or reporting gaps and which simplify complex issues for readers
- Shows experience in reporting using records and databases.
- Can develop a clear understating of state and federal laws relating to public records and public meetings.
- Can work on a range of topics and is able to gain sufficient familiarity with the most important topics covered by the Ohio Newspapers newsroom to write with authority.
- Generates clean and concise copy, and work that is balanced, fair accurate and complete. Work should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
- Will be able to cover breaking news that has significant impact on the Dayton region.
- Will write with an understanding of the standards of libel and slander.
- Will use photo and video production skills sufficient to deliver basic visuals for the digital and print report.
- Will be able to use technology to file stories remotely
- Engages editors on best ways to package and present stories
- Has the ability to work in communication with an editor but also capable of working on self-directed projects over time.
- Identifies graphics needs for stories and works with editors and graphics producers.
- Is flexible in shift starting times and work locations.
- Will help inform and lead implementation of newsroom strategies for content and delivers content that is impactful and thorough which contributes to success of our effort to maintain and grow subscribers.
- Handles other assignments as needed, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Education and experience in newspaper and digital journalism production strongly preferred
- 8 years experience at daily newspaper and/or digital journalism
- Knowledge of digital publishing tools or the demonstrated ability to learn those used by Ohio Newspapers
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021