|Date Posted||April 30, 2021|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Sports Editor plans layout and selects content of print and online newspaper editions by performing a variety of editorial duties guaranteeing each edition is complete, accurate, and executed on time.
This position oversees two other sports editors who must be managed to efficiently cover the necessary content creation.
1. Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal. Monitors and selects news items by utilizing all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, social media, and other reporters
2. Coordinate work of reporters and stringers. Assign topics, events and stories to individual reporters for coverage
3. Collect, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, using intuition and experience to complement data
4. Works with integrity upholding organizational values and ethics
5. Completes reporting and photography assignments as needed
6. Determines placement of stories based on relative significance, available space, and knowledge of layout principles. Marks layout sheets to indicate position of each story and accompanying photos
7. Writes and rewrites headlines, captions, columns, articles, and stories to conform to publication’s style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements. Selects photographs and illustrative materials to conform to space and subject matter requirements
8. Directs production associates in modifying copy to conform to space requirements. Verifies facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources
9. Reviews and approves proofs submitted by production
10. Responsible for the newspaper’s website content and the timely posting of the content
11. Uses personal transportation to drive to places necessary for the composition of the story
12. Provide editorial content and/or photographs to special sections as needed. Coordinate the
gathering of content and photographs with reporters and stringers
The right candidate will have:
13. A deep knowledge of professional and collegiate sports
14. Excellent news judgment
15. Basic knowledge of InDesign. Additional training is available for the right candidate
16. Strong editing skills, including understanding of AP style
17. Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality work on deadline
18. Strong written and verbal communication skills
Authority and Relationships
Works closely with people within the communities served, business and community leaders, requiring a high level of integrity and tact as a representative of Adams Publishing Group. Closely works with a wide variety of internal associates to meet quality and production goals.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or related field
• Minimum 2 years editorial experience.
Skills & Abilities
• Skilled in writing articles for newspaper publications that conform to prescribed style and format.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Working knowledge of data analytics tools for use in coverage decisions
• Strong understanding of social media and SEO strategy to grow new audiences
• Ability to work independently as well as a collaborative team member within departments
• Ability to organize, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure
• Strong understanding of multimedia technology
• One to three years of experience in a professional newsroom is preferred, but if you believe you have most of the skills listed above, please consider applying.
Must meet APG driver qualifications. Good driving record and a dependable vehicle required
For immediate consideration, please send resume, cover letter, and 3-4 best examples of your writing to Orestes Baez, Regional President at firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The fringe benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year end.
Send your resume to this employer.