||April 30, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
The Managing Editor is responsible for supervising and coordinating the activities of news gathering staff. Directs or participates in developing, writing and editing news stories. Assigns work to reporters, developing their stories, and guiding reporters as they collect the elements for their stories. Responsible for helping reporters put together their stories and design pages of the paper.
As a team member we want you to inspire and be inspired! You're passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multitask, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
General Duties Editorial (80%)
- Serves as the Local Editor of coordinating all content and editorial agendas for Janesville Gazette
- Work with Regional Executive Editor to ensure content lines up with readership goals. Keep informed on all editorial related projects, issues and opportunities
- Writes news stories on a regular basis, including taking photos and conducting interview
- Leverage relationship with the leadership team; work with others to develop mutually beneficial programs and partnerships
- Works in conjunction with other editors to produce a quality and timely daily product in print and online
- Works closely with others to assure on-time press starts and accurate and complete news report; works with other departments in the newsroom and newspaper. Oversees reporters and interns. Conducts news meetings; make sure they start on time and are productive. Leads the planning efforts
- Helps hire and evaluates reporting staff in consultation with the senior leadership; works independently; must be able to work with other departments within the newspaper group; have good communication skills; understand the needs of a company; directs staff to plan and provide an accurate and complete news reports consistently. Our products should reflect community standards and interests
- Must be able to put together accurate stories, edit stories, make content decisions; must understand the reporting process and know the AP style book and possess good grammar knowledge; must be able to give direction to reporters and copy editors and understand the news business; must be able to meet critical deadlines under intense pressure; must be able to use phones; needs management abilities to coordinate duties for special projects; must be able to use a variety of computer programs.
General Management (20%)
- General understanding and awareness of budgeted revenue, expenses and profit targets with support from the Regional Executive Editor, Regional President, and Finance team
- Provides feedback to the Regional Executive Editor and Regional President on all operating budgets including revenue (if applicable), payroll and expense management
- Provides over the top customer service to all advertisers and readers, fostering productive community relationships
- Work with Finance Director to help prepare necessary monthly, quarterly and annual reports as requested by the Regional Executive Editor and Regional President
- Ensure newspaper is maximizing growth opportunities and operating efficiencies
- Manage personnel including hiring, motivating, reviewing, training, disciplining and terminating. Consult with Idaho Press Publisher as necessary
- Take advantage of state press and Adams Publishing national and regional networks. Willingly work with department heads and other staff to brainstorm ideas, share resources and experience and collaborate on various projects
- Maximize market share by keeping abreast of market developments and taking proactive steps to thwart competitors
- Support efforts to grow annual profits for the newspaper
- Other duties as assigned and needed
- Build community relationships with various organizations; attend meetings, join committees/boards
- Foster goodwill in the community by sponsoring events and other community causes
- Be accessible to community members; represent the newspaper at various functions
- Represent Boise Weekly with high standards at all times
- Address reader/advertiser inquiries in professional manner
For immediate consideration, please send resume, cover letter, and 3-4 best examples of your writing to Orestes Baez, Regional President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The fringe benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year end.
Apply Online (select an option):
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you have listed on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021