||April 26, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
||$30,000 to $35,000
The Delaware State News in Dover, De., seeks a full-time local news reporter with strong Spanish language skills to tell stories that will resonant throughout Delaware but especially across the city of Milford.
The ideal candidate will know how to appeal to both a regional and local audience. Our reporters are not only writers and observers, but also community ambassadors for our straight, non-partisan reporting. This role will particularly focus on developing relationships and story ideas in collaboration with Milford’s Latino community.
As a small staff, all Delaware State News local editorial employees play a role in reporting, writing, editing, publishing, and promoting daily news. The successful candidate must be able to juggle breaking stories and providing context to daily happenings.
The ability to write and report daily stories that resonate with audiences is a must. The job requires the ability to understand our audience and frame stories in a way that highlights what is most important and essential to them.
This role reports to the Managing Editor and will be based solely in the local community. Local applicants, if any, strongly preferred.
This position is located in Milford, DE.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly write news stories that are clear, accurate, engaging and of high interest and relevance to local readers.
- Develop sources that go beyond government and company officials and include regular people who will be effected by big decisions.
- Be able to juggle multiple daily stories while chasing breaking news.
- Work with the editor to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Work with digital team to use audience metrics to determine the best stories for building our audience.
- Produce basic video and photos in the field as needed.
- Write and report on a continuous-news cycle, publishing to digital platforms as well as social platforms as required.
- Use social networks to seek story ideas and connect with the community.
- Participate in training sessions offered and seek out learning opportunities.
- Education and knowledge: Prior news writing experience required.
- Ability to write and edit in both Spanish and English
- Excellent news judgment
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and social media skills with a strong sense of writing voice.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and community members
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- The ability to communicate across different segments of the community and understand their needs
- The ability to develop reliable sources quickly
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- The ability to report, analyze and write with speed.
To apply, visit https://iniusa.org/employment/.
Independent Newsmedia Inc. USA is an equal opportunity employer.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021