|Date Posted||February 22, 2021|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Key West Citizen is taking applications for a general assignment reporter, with a focus on police, schools and sports coverage. We’re looking for an eager, talented writer who can coverage any story and bring it to life in our newspaper and online.
Candidates must have strong writing, research and people skills. Experience covering sports and police beat are desired. The position requires ability to take photographs for both print and digital production, which can be shared with the company's other publications. Duties include assigned beat work of police, sports and, with additional coverage of business and enterprise project.
Proficiency with the Internet and social media required.
This is a full-time position that can include weekends.
The successful candidate must be flexible, attentive to details, diplomatic, able to take direction and multitask. This position will work with different personality types and across a number of publications.
Candidates for this position should have strong interpersonal skills and client orientation and exhibit an ability to work effectively with internal and external contacts as a team member as well as a team leader.
• Ability to write and to provide clean copy, take photos and video, knowledge of AP Style and strong organizational skills;
• Must be a self-starter, with ability to come up with story ideas pertaining to beats;
• Must be able to accept instruction and editing suggestions from editors;
• Must be able to work cooperatively with the public;
• Perform job duties and conduct self in accordance with company core values; and
• Initiate and nurture effective, professional relationships with internal and external contacts.
• Prior reporting/editing experience required, preferably in newspaper/digital media industry.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask.
• Must have own transportation.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is helpful. Ability to use Facebook and Twitter and other social media preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field, or industry experience
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
For immediate consideration, please email your resume, cover letter and five examples of your writing to Executive Editor Chris Seymour at email@example.com, with "GA Reporter" in subject line.
Benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), as well as dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year’s end.