||January 29, 2021
||Public Relations, Nonprofit
The American Motorcyclist Association, the premier membership association dedicated to promoting the motorcycling lifestyle and protecting the future of motorcycling, is seeking an experienced professional for the position of Government Communications Manager.
The AMA Government Communications Manager develops, coordinates and executes AMA advocacy and government relations messaging through several media. This position plans, produces and disseminates press releases, direct member communication, magazine articles, website content, social media content and other projects relating to government relations.
This position is part of the Government Relations Department, reporting to the Director of Government Relations, while working closely with Communications team to ensure AMA rights and advocacy messaging follows AMA style conventions and overall AMA messaging goals to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling.
- Serves as government affairs editor for American Motorcyclist magazine;
- Serves as the communications liaison between the Government Relations Department and Communications and the Creative Services Departments;
- Writes, edits and collaborates on editorial content of American Motorcyclist magazine, americanmotorcyclist.com and other AMA editorial properties;
- Strategizes and executes, in close cooperation with the Communications Department, the public relations messaging on topics of motorcycling rights and advocacy;
- Plans and writes press releases and other messaging to promote the AMA’s government relations activity and the advocacy goals of the AMA;
- Writes and edits motorcycling rights and advocacy campaign messaging in all forms;
- Analyzes government and third-party produced material on issues that affect the rights and freedoms of motorcyclists;
- Manages and oversees editorial style and messaging consistency in editorial products of the AMA Government Relations Department;
- Interprets and applies AMA positions on wide-ranging issues, in addition to providing communications and messaging support in formulating those positions;
- Communicates with external and internal contacts, including outside media and other AMA staff, with respect to AMA policies, procedures and positions as they apply to motorcycling rights;
- Under the direction of the AMA Director of Government Relations, serves as a public spokesperson on rights and advocacy topics for the AMA;
- Occasional travel and event support as a member of the AMA Government Relations Department team;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge and execution of news reporting;
- Proficiency in Associated Press style;
- Knowledge of government and politics;
- Knowledge of legal and legislative systems;
- Excellent interviewing and writing skills;
- Strong project-management and cross-departmental communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills;
- Strong public speaking skills;
- Strong proofreading skills;
- An innovative and active approach to problem solving;
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently;
- Ability to thrive in deadline-driven environment;
- Ability to provide occasional event support, including some physical assistance and possible exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field;
- Five to seven years of relevant work experience demonstrating success meeting multiple deadlines across multiple projects;
- Three years of experience in writing and editing in a professional setting;
- Motorcycle license or experience is helpful
The AMA offers a competitive benefits package, including paid time off, medical, dental, 401(k) and tuition reimbursement.
Please email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021