|Date Posted||November 19, 2020|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a versatile multi-media and multi-talented copy editor and page designer who has the traditional skills of the trade — a critical mind, solid command of AP style, top-notch headline-writing abilities, an eye for print design and the ability to do it all on deadline — as well as 21st-century digital savvy, such as social media proficiency and SEO skills. Our ideal candidate is a news and culture junkie who can discuss local politics, foreign affairs and what to watch on Netflix. Someone who can not only copy edit, design, write and handle anything and everything that will come at them on deadline, but also work on a long-term special projects and enterprise for our print and digital products.
To join our team, submit a résumé, cover letter and your five best print or web headlines, designs and/or projects (print or web) to Managing Editor Mike Szvetitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Edit news, business and feature stories (and possibly sports)
* Use strong news judgment and attention to detail to identify problems in stories and collaboratively work toward solutions
* Balance multiple assignments and priorities on deadline
* Write engaging, keyword-filled headlines, as well as cutlines that complement stories
* Uphold standards in a fast-paced environment
* Pull wire stories and prepare them for publication
* Help keep Richmond.com up to date through our content management system
* Quickly and efficiently build and design print news pages
* Build and design multi-media packages for Richmond.com, including photo galleries, video, interactive graphics, charts, etc.