|Date Posted||November 18, 2020|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
Notice of Job Opening
Position: General Assignment Reporter
The Aiken Standard is looking to add an experienced General Assignment Reporter to cover critical news topics of need in Aiken County, SC. Experience covering business, growth and development, local government and local schools will be valued. Knowledge of the market is a significant plus.
Our award-winning team of journalists covers local news in print, online, and through digital projects. Assignments will range from meeting and event coverage to breaking news, feature profiles, and more in-depth enterprise pieces.
Aiken was named Best Small Town in the South by Southern Living magazine and it’s also an All-America City. Ever heard of The Masters? Well, that’s right next door, too. This reporting position is truly an opportunity unlike any other.
The ideal candidate has 3-5 years experience writing and reporting in a weekly or daily newsroom along with strong multimedia and photography skills. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Aiken Standard is owned by Evening Post Industries, a company dedicated to serving its customers, employees and communities with unconditional integrity, and promises to deliver the highest standards of service in every capacity it operates.
This position will focus on daily coverage of news within Aiken County. Reporter must have the ability to pull ideas from beat, recognize the bigger picture and execute through more in-depth pieces and enterprise stories. In addition, it is the responsibility of the Reporter to carry out any other operational task delegated by the Executive Editor.
· Edit and format stories and photos for print and digital publication
· Display a familiarity with all news: local, business, state, national, international, sports and entertainment
· Be familiar with technology required to manage and edit content for our digital products
· Edit and post stories, videos, photos and graphics including breaking news
· Fill out daily budget in Google Docs and communicate with hub about print design
· Communicate with night press crew regarding status of print product
· Produce work that is accurate in fact, tone and implication. Understand and follow libel and copyright laws
· Generating story ideas
· Attending meetings and networking events to further expand knowledge of the beat
· Ability to bring a fresh perspective to the beat in an ever-changing newspaper industry
· Adept at writing about community events, people and activities
· Photograph eye-catching and visually diverse selection of photos to be paired with news stories
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field (Communications, English)
· Prior work experience in the basic understanding of the principles of journalism and the operation of newspaper functions
· Excellent writing, grammar and spelling skills
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Practice effective time-management for copy flow and production
· Must be able to work flexible hours and react to change productively
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
· Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
· Stay in touch with reporters in the field on breaking news, seek assistance when needed from other editors and hub designers
· Seek out and participate in opportunities to improve skills
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds.
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to outside environmental conditions.
Some local travel will be required.
How to Apply:
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and 3 writing samples to Executive Editor John Boyette at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.