||November 13, 2020
POSITION TITLE: Managing Editor
REPORTS TO: Co-Founders
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-Time
Summary: The managing editor will supervise news coverage for our ambitious nonprofit digital newsroom. You’ll be the face of our news team, where you’ll manage the editorial calendar; develop and oversee publishing processes; assign and edit stories; track audience engagement; and help manage our social media channels.
The managing editor will report to the organization’s co-founders.
About the Organization: San José Spotlight is the city's first nonprofit news organization dedicated to independent political and business reporting. Our mission is to change the face of local journalism by building a community-supported newsroom that ignites civic engagement, educates citizens and strengthens our democracy.
- Supervise a team of reporters, freelancers, columnists and editorial interns, including making assignments, coaching through story ideas and editing stories. Lead weekly editorial meetings with reporters to discuss story pitches and assign stories
- Assign stories related to South Bay policy, politics and government. Generate story ideas by monitoring social media and news releases, in addition to coming up with unique enterprise stories, story angles and leads
- Frame news coverage through the lens of the most vulnerable, with a focus on communities of color, power and policy. Prioritize accountability and watchdog reporting. Ensure everyday people are at the center of our reporting, prioritizing diversity and voices of disenfranchised or minority communities, addressing the effect of government actions and public policies on businesses and residents
- Maintain San José Spotlight’s editorial calendar and manage our website
- Write compelling, SEO-friendly headlines and keywords. Promote stories on social media
- Write and edit newsletters
- Arrange graphics, art, photos, video and other multimedia elements for stories
- Oversee and enforce deadline calendar to ensure reporters file stories on time
- Monitor audience engagement through Google Analytics and make data-driven editorial decisions based on our audience’s interests
- Occasionally write and report stories
San José Spotlight Marketing
- Build reader loyalty on social media and in the field
- Maintain a professional presence on social media and demonstrate an understanding of the importance of helping San José Spotlight build its brand with daily posts
- Positively promote the organization and regularly share San José Spotlight stories, fundraising campaigns and events
- Represent San José Spotlight at educational panels, forums and events
- Must be willing to moderate debates and help lead discussions with our readers
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- At least five years of local/regional news experience, at least two of which should be as an editor
- Stellar news judgment and sharp editorial instincts
- Impeccable editing, copy editing skills and a commitment to excellence in this area
- Display a collaborative spirit and remain calm under pressure
- A deep-seated commitment to independent, local journalism
- Proficiency in WordPress, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Google Sheets, Google Analytics, Slack and social media
- Detail oriented, super organized and adept at managing multiple projects, people and deadlines simultaneously. Excellent time management skills
- Excel at developing reporters and story ideas
- Understanding of public policy, local government, elections and politics
- Flexible schedule and available to work some weekends and evenings
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Good problem solver with capability to make quick and sound decisions
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable
To Apply, Please Provide the Following:
- Your resume/CV
- A cover letter/statement of interest. Tell us why you are a good fit for San José Spotlight and how you would elevate our public service journalism to the next level
- Contact information for 3 references
- Links to at least four samples of your best work, including major stories you’ve written, stories you’ve edited and/or projects you’ve coordinated, with a summary of your role
Application materials should be emailed in PDF format to: email@example.com
Please note: San José Spotlight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, marital status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran's status, sexual orientation or other bases protected by law. San José Spotlight makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities as defined by and in compliance with California law.
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you posted on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020