|Date Posted||September 16, 2020|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Vail Daily is looking for a bilingual Spanish reporter to join its news team in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The core purpose of a reporter is to research, document, write and present the news in an honest, ethical and unbiased way.
The ideal candidate would possess strong reporting and writing skills in both English and Spanish, for both print and the web, and contribute to the newspaper’s digital-first goals with creative ideas to engage our readership in new ways across multiple platforms. The ideal candidate would also have a knowledge of the Eagle County community.
To Apply, visit www.swiftcom.com/careers and select job 1885.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Research the Spanish community beat and develop story ideas for print, social media and news websites.
• Localize national and international news and trends to our mountain audience, often through man-on-the-street interviews.
• Write and file an average of eight to 10 bylined stories each week and optimize those stories for posting across multiple digital channels, including the Vail Daily’s website and social media
• Post error-free basic, breaking stories to website and social media
• Write and file briefs and community items based on material provided by the public or taken from coverage of a beat
• Actively participate in planning sessions and weekly team meetings
• Work with editorial peers, editors, graphic designers and other members of the Swift Communications team on special projects, particularly in the digital realm
• Perform other duties as outlined and assigned by the editor
• Demonstrate interest in community journalism and a desire to be an active member of the mountain community in which they live and work
• Have the ability to craft well-written and accurate news and feature stories under deadline pressure
• Adhere to and follow the newsroom workflow to meet all deadlines
• Fully utilize the functionality of computer systems and software used in the day-to-day work of producing a newspaper or digital product
• Understand and embrace the concepts of readability in crafting stories, developing sidebars and providing materials for informational graphics
• Understand and be an active user of social media
• Have problem-solving abilities, above-average people skills and a positive, customer service-oriented attitude
• Cultivate external relationships with community members, particularly within the beats of politics, environment, ski industry and breaking news
• Cultivate internal relationships with editorial peers, editors, other newspaper departments and other members of Swift Communications
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field (may be waived based on experience and demonstrated skills)
• Experience in a newsroom environment, including the ability to work under pressure and write high-quality, accurate stories on deadline
• Excellent communication and listening skills, both written and verbal
• Outgoing personality, with the ability to approach strangers and the demeanor to turn those strangers into sources and/or readers
• Strong computer and digital skills, with understanding of various platforms including social media (particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and mastery of content-management software utilized in production of stories
• Working knowledge of Associated Press style and an understanding of the daily newspaper environment
• Demonstrated organizational skills
• An ideal candidate would also have knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel and Outlook), experience with Adobe InCopy or similar content-management software and some photojournalism experience
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.