At the heart of the Office of Communications is the goal to articulate the ministry of the Bishop to the faithful and the public, promote the work of the Diocese of Arlington and Catholic Charities, to facilitate interviews and media requests, and to assist departments and offices in their communications through the use of traditional and new media. All content created and distributed by the Diocese of Arlington exists to support the Church’s mission to evangelize by inspiring, educating and informing the Catholic faithful.
The Executive Editor of Content oversees diocesan print publications, including the diocesan newspaper and news website, the Arlington Catholic Herald, and business and advertising operations.
- Create and lead the strategic operations for editorial content, circulation, and advertising of diocesan print (principally, the Arlington Catholic Herald newspaper) and digital publications
- Create and lead the strategic vision for diocesan publishing and the Arlington Catholic Herald
- Closely collaborate and coordinate with Director of Digital and Social Media to ensure content ideas are packaged in multimedia formats
- Regularly review and report on key performance metrics, based on goals set in collaboration with the Chief Communications Officer (CCO)
- Oversee the day-to-day content and marketing operations, including the recruitment, selection, development, supervision, scheduling, and evaluation of the publications, advertising and circulation staff
- Cultivate and manage stakeholder relationships, especially with pastors and significant advertising clients
- Ensure that content is appropriate and prepared in accordance with directives of the CCO
- Develop and implement the approved annual budget, track and control costs against the budget to avoid cost overruns, work with advertising/sales staff to ensure advertising meets or exceeds budget expectations, work with vendors to keep production costs competitive and within budget
- Act as liaison with Catholic News Service and the Catholic Press Association in matters concerning the Catholic press and media at the national level
- Prepare and present policy recommendations related to assessment rates, prices, the draft budget, and other information
- Write and edit news stories, editorial content, scripts, project plans/story boards, and marketing materials as necessary
- Knowledge/Skills: Must be a practicing Catholic with a solid knowledge and understanding of Church teachings and a general understanding of its organization and operational procedures; hands-on knowledge and understanding of the role of communications in the Church to inspire, educate, inform, evangelize, and communicate the message of the Gospel to a contemporary audience; excellent project management skills with the ability to delegate and monitor tasks; strong understanding of the role of, and trends in, digital media in Catholic communications, publishing, and evangelization as well as similar trends in secular media; excellent writing and editing skills; mastery of the AP and/or Catholic News Service style; strong interpersonal, communications, and public relations skills, including the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and cultivate relationships with stakeholders, including priests, religious, and laity; strong managerial skills; strong planning and organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to meet tight deadlines; ability to apply critical thinking to solve problems in an everyday work setting; creativity and initiative with a sense of discretion; basic proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook); photography and videography skills helpful.
- Licenses/Certifications: Valid driver’s license must be maintained at all times.
- Education: BS/BA required in journalism, communications, or related field or equivalent degree and experience; master’s degree preferred
- Years and Types of Experience: Minimum of five years’ experience at a leadership level in journalism or communications, preferably in a newspaper, magazine, broadcast media, and/or digital media production environment
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020