|Date Posted||July 31, 2020|
The Associate Producer assists editors, reporters and anchors with the day to day operations of the newsroom.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with anchors, writers, reporters and broadcast editors to ensure the on-air product meets WTOP's high journalistic standards and core brand attributes
- Help deliver news with a sense of urgency 24/7
- Ensure broadcast anchors have everything needed for a flawless broadcast, including reporter scripts and audio files
- Screen every piece of audio and script in hourly rundowns to ensure WTOP quality standards are being met
- Continuous monitoring of the editor's rundown for upcoming and timely stories and liveshots that are booked
- Edit/tighten/produce live interviews so editors can re-package for on-air use
- Actively pursue news tips that come in via email, phone call or other official sources
- Monitor local/national news outlets, social media and email to make sure WTOP is on top of the most relevant and breaking news stories of the day
- Answer phone calls and emails from listeners, providing top-notch customer service from WTOP
- Help develop story ideas for reporters to pursue
- Write news stories and edit audio files, as needed
- Contact affiliates and news sources for interviews and information
- Communicate effectively with digital editors to share new information on stories WTOP is covering and opportunities to tease to WTOP's digital platforms
- Other duties as assigned
Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
- 1-2 years professional experience in the broadcast news industry (radio or television) preferred
- In-depth knowledge of local D.C. news market, preferred
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong writing and interviewing skills
- Knowledge of newswire services
- Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Burli, and Wide Orbit, preferred
- Ability to work quickly in breaking news situations and handle stressful situations in a calm manner
- Ability to multitask, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Project an appropriate and professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Ability to function well in a team environment
- Ability to work weekdays and weekends.
- Must be able to work early morning, midday, evening and overnight shifts.
Hubbard Radio Washington DC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.