||July 21, 2020
||Newspapers / Wires
JOB SUMMARY: The Daily Gazette is hiring a Managing Editor steeped in hard news experience who can step into our newsroom and guide our daily coverage of New York’s Capital District. The Managing Editor will be the go-to person in the newsroom, acting as the gatekeeper of information flowing in and out of the department. S/he will set the tone of the paper every day and work with editors and reporters to find and flesh out the stories essential to our coverage. The ideal candidate will have a passion for daily news, a strong sense of accountability journalism, be hard charging, energetic, and willing to take the reins in challenging circumstances. This position reports to the Editor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage daily news operations as well as administrative duties such as scheduling and payroll.
- Generate concepts for new content development, vet ideas, refine pitches, and make assignments.
- Run two daily news meetings to oversee team coverage and story selection for the next day’s paper.
- Direct breaking news coverage.
- Monitor social media and other news outlets for breaking news and story ideas.
- Develop/expand articles from the daily paper into longer Sunday features.
- Provide guidance to reporters and photographers with respect to substance, accuracy, style, ethics, legal issues, and news standards.
- Oversee the digital/multimedia team.
- Field calls from readers with questions, comments, and complaints.
- Coordinate with the Opinion Page Editor.
- Conduct all operations with awareness of deadline requirements.
- Provide employee training for new personnel.
- Sit on the Gazette Editorial Board.
- Work cooperatively with other departments to solve problems and resolve conflicts.
- Extensive experience in hard news
- Minimum of 5 years working in a newsroom
- Reporting and/or editing background
- A bachelor’s degree is required, journalism major preferred
- This position is on-site at The Daily Gazette in Schenectady, NY.
To apply, send a resume and a short cover letter summarizing your news experience and your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020