|Date Posted||July 06, 2020|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Topeka Capital-Journal located in Topeka, Kansas is seeking a highly motivated full-time news reporter to join our team. We are looking for a reporter who is passionate about watchdog journalism, regarding state government and politics. A journalist who can work larger enterprise stories while also producing a steady stream of audience-grabbing updates. A strategic thinker who can analyze metrics, experiment with new storytelling forms and ride trending topics. Our reporters shoot video, engage audience members on social media, mine social media for story ideas and sources and use the right tools and platforms to reach key audience groups.
* Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows an audience base by informing and engaging readers.
* Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
* Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* 3-5 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
* Strong self-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
* Comfortable using social media such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to enhance reporting and promote stories.
* Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
* Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
* This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Application Instructions: When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. *It's important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.