The Los Angeles Daily News, a subsidiary of MediaNews Group, is seeking a Reporter to join the team! MediaNews Group offers news reporting and third party advertising and marketing opportunities through its multi-platform products which include: web, mobile, tablet, and print. We are one of the largest media groups in the U.S., serving high-value audiences and connecting advertisers to them. MNG publishes award-winning content (49 Pulitzers) that amasses and engages a nationwide audience via 800 multi-media platforms including web, mobile, social, and print. We are transforming the news industry.
We're seeking a reporter to cover local government news in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley, with an emphasis on local schools and education issues. We're looking for someone who's accustomed to getting news posted swiftly and accurately. Ideal candidates have the ability to help produce and polish strong enterprise and breaking news for online, mobile and print platforms; can cultivate sources in person and via social media; are eager to craft compelling narratives as well as strongly composed tweets; and are comfortable mining public records and databases for the deeper stories. If you are a passionate, focused, digital-focused journalist who can hit content home-runs and build online audiences we want to talk to you.
- Cover news stories in surrounding counties.
- Versatility is a must, as stories will cover a wide variety of topics, from city and county government to community events.
- Proficient in taking his/her own photos and producing their own videos and must be able to write, take photos and produce videos on deadline and in a fast paced environment.
- Along with producing stories that are assigned, the reporter should also be able to pitch their own story ideas on a regular basis.
- The candidate must be able to research and develop stories to the utmost accuracy.
- Coverage Priorities: The LA Daily News office is located in Chatsworth, but reporters work largely from the field (or wherever the news of the day takes them in the greater San Fernando Valley). With schools forging plans to return to campus as the coronavirus-spurred "Safer At Home" orders ease, this is a particularly poignant time for education coverage. The beat includes the Los Angeles Unified School District -- one of the nation's largest, most diverse and most complex school districts.
- Bachelor’s or Associate's degree (with comparable experience) in journalism or related field.
- Two to three years experience reporting desired but we will consider experienced reporters with demonstrated abilities.
- Experience in reporting breaking news, politics, features, or enterprise is preferred.
- Experience in both photography and video, and a willingness to experiment with new storytelling tools and social media approaches.
- Strong writing across a variety of story types.
- A mindset to put the reader first.
- Some experience in copy editing a bonus.
- Curiosity is a must.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020