|Date Posted||May 20, 2020|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Director of Education
Application Deadline: June 17, 2020, 5 p.m. EDT
The Society of Professional Journalists is the nation’s oldest and most broad-based membership association for journalists. We are dedicated to the perpetuation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty. To accomplish this, SPJ hires smart, energetic individuals who are determined to improve the Society’s offerings and operations — while making a name for themselves. After training, we get out of the way and give them the freedom to do just that.
We’re looking for a candidate to fill a Director of Education position. This position, based in Indianapolis, is a one-year contract position with potential to become a permanent, salaried position. Working remotely is a possibility.
– Work with SPJ staff and volunteers to develop a wide spectrum of curriculum and delivery methods that positions SPJ as an innovator and leader in journalism education.
– Develop curriculum and delivery methods for the Society’s ongoing professional development programs for members, including but not limited to newsroom training, conferences, chapter workshops, training videos, spj.org, webinars and other teaching platforms/mechanisms.
– Work with SPJ Regional Coordinators to design effective regional conferences and programming.
– Serve as primary staff contact with events coordinator, who is responsible for the implementation of the annual national convention.
– Seek out partnership opportunities for education with other journalism organizations.
– Oversee the educational portion of the Society’s annual convention, including but not limited to: Working with a volunteer committee, selecting/creating educational sessions, securing speakers and helping with the creation of the convention schedule.
– Prepare and monitor educational program budgets to ensure that each program remains within budget.
– Assist in seeking grants, partnerships and/or sponsorships for educational programs.
– Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
What the ideal candidate possesses:
– In-depth knowledge of emerging journalism trends and a firm understanding of the journalism community
– Ability to manage multiple projects and follow each carefully from inception to completion
– Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in work
– Persistent self-motivator who can work with minimal oversight and achieve team goals on a consistent basis
– Innovative mindset
– Experience managing staff and working with volunteers
– Excellent writing and communication skills
– Strong decision-making skills rooted in data collection and analysis
– 5-7 years of experience in designing and delivering educational programs
– Bachelor’s degree
– Strong computer skills and proficiency in eLearning training tools and education software
– Willingness to travel
– Journalism experience
– Association/membership organization experience
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé and three professional references to Linda Hall at email@example.com. Please type “Director of Education” in the subject line.
The Society of Professional Journalists is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. SPJ will apply its diversity mission to hiring with a written policy and approach to:
— Actively seek diverse candidates
— Advertise broadly
— Craft job descriptions to be inclusive
— Include diverse candidates within the interview pool