||March 13, 2020
||Newspapers / Wires
Colorado Community Media, a family-owned community newspaper group, is seeking a new editor to lead our newsroom. We publish 18 weekly and two monthly widely respected newspapers plus corresponding websites in the Denver metropolitan area. We are a lean, but talented group, winning numerous awards each year. We seek someone who is an innovator and enjoys working with reporters hungry for mentoring. We are about to undergo a redesign, and the new editor will have a major role in determining our new look and reader-engagement efforts.
The ideal candidate will have plenty of print experience but also a forward-thinking approach to digital products and social media. The editor writes editorials and is sometimes is the “face of the papers.” The editor collaborates with advertising, designers and other department heads. The editor will be based in our Englewood office and report to the publisher.
- Develop content plan for all news platforms including web, mobile and print.
- Oversee production of all print and digital publications to meet deadlines and to ensure quality.
- Recruit, lead and mentor newsroom employees. Hire freelancers and coordinate all syndicates and columnists.
- Write attention-grabbing, but accurate headlines.
- Work with reporters to plan coverage and write strong stories.
- Plan and coordinate trend, special section and enterprise coverage — for example, our “Election 2020” section that will be published in October.
- Be familiar with the basics of page design and enjoy working with designers to increase reader engagement.
- Write columns/editorials and respond to comments from the community by phone, by email, in person or by assigning staffers to handle reader interaction specific to their expertise and responsibilities.
- Make on-the-spot decisions regarding ethics and news sensitivity and adhere to newsroom ethics policies.
- Work under deadlines, motivate staff and excel under pressure.
- Prepare materials for business plan, annual budget and performance reviews.
- Participate in community functions and network with community members.
- Be able to adapt to changing industry and lead others through change.
Experience / Qualifications:
- College degree in journalism or related field (English, communication, etc.)
- Prior newspaper editing experience
- Prior supervisory experience of newsroom, copy desk and photography/videography
- Demonstrated writing skills and language precision
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer knowledge/skills
- Customer service skills and administrative duties
- Ability to maintain an even temperament
Benefits: Vacation, Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability. Good working environment.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, references and five samples of your work that show a variety of skills to the publisher, Jerry Healey: email@example.com
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020