|Date Posted||February 14, 2020|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Cincinnati Business Courier is looking for a full-time Digital Editor.
The Digital Editor owns and manages the Business Courier's digital content across all platforms, including web, email and social media. The ideal candidate will thrive in a newsroom that values scoops and exclusive reporting above all else, and knows its audience well. The Digital Editor works with reporters, interns and freelancers to develop and edit all online content. He or she also produces compelling digital content -- from a breaking business news story to a slideshow, to an interactive data package or a feature-length article -- that drives engagement, grows our audience and extends the Business Courier brand.
The ideal candidate is a Swiss Army Knife who is comfortable writing on any beat, who barely breaks a sweat while multitasking, can write quickly and concisely and thrives under pressure.
• Directs Business Courier digital coverage all day every day.
• Edits stories produced by staff reporters, interns and freelancers and helps shape beat coverage.
• Takes the lead on breaking news coverage, working in tandem with the rest of the newsroom team to ensure the Business Courier is ahead of the pack.
• Reports, writes and sometimes aggregates engaging online content throughout the day from a variety of sources, including public company filings.
• Curates, writes for, ranks and publish the Business Courier's morning and afternoon email products and breaking news alerts.
• Tracks metrics, measures engagement and helps staff identify and deploy tactics to meet traffic and engagement goals.
• Manages social media streams and executes strategies to build engagement.
• Works with editors, reporters and other stakeholders to plan new content and features for web and print.
• Works collaboratively with peers in photography, design and research
• Exceptional news judgment
• Strong reporting and writing skills
• Strong editing and headline-writing skills
• Leadership acumen and a desire to work collaboratively
• Familiarity with SEO and site/traffic/engagement metrics, and ability to interpret them
• A firm belief in the power of social media
• Able to balance high standards for content quality with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives
• Demonstrated use of databases to build interactive elements and features a plus
• Comfortable working in a content management system
• Multimedia interest and acumen — video and audio, especially — is key. The ability to create simple infographics a plus
• Knowledge of HTML a plus
• At least 2 years’ experience in a newsroom
• Digital/online reporting experience
• Robust social media user
• Business reporting a plus
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and three of your best clips to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals
The Cincinnati Business Courier and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The Cincinnati Business Courier is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.