We’re building a newsroom to help people across Oakland better understand and engage with our city’s greatest challenges and opportunities. To make that happen, we’re looking for an eagle-eyed, coolheaded Managing Editor to create and run processes that make our newsroom shine. You’ll manage and mentor our reporting team, design our publishing workflows, help develop and champion our editorial standards, and become the conducting maestro of our news-gathering operation. You’ll also help reimagine how local journalism can serve this city. Read more about our Oakland newsroom and founding values.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time in our development. After 10 years building Berkeleyside into a widely recognized, nationally lauded local news site, we are launching an ambitious, yet-to-be-named mission-driven organization that will embrace Berkeleyside and new city newsrooms. We have core funding from the American Journalism Project and Google News Initiative. Our first new launch will be in Oakland this spring.
What you’ll do
- Manage and mentor our reporting team
- Lead the design of our publishing processes from scratch
- Work closely with our Editor-in-Chief and News Editor to execute and elevate our reporting agenda and expand our reach
- Assign stories and manage our editorial calendar
- Edit and publish across a variety of formats, from daily news stories and newsletters to longform features and live conversations
- Ensure that our daily reporting output follows our editorial policies
- Be our newsroom’s go-to “answer person” on day-to-day editorial operations
- Coach and mentor our reporters in stretching and reaching their professional goals
- Help shape the development of a brand-new newsroom rooted in equity, inclusion, and a service-oriented approach to local journalism
- Report to our Editor-in-Chief
What you’ll need to succeed
- A commitment to ethical, accurate, inclusive reporting
- Masterful local news judgment and razor-sharp editorial instincts
- First-rate top-editing and copyediting skills
- 3+ years experience managing teams and projects in a newsroom
- A radical imagination for what journalism can look like, who it serves, and who can contribute
- Cultural competence: the awareness and knowledge to ensure that our reporting agenda reflects the diversity of Oakland’s people and communities, and the communication skills to coach and collaborate across lines of difference
- A deep love of process, and a desire to constantly finetune our processes to better serve our staff and our community
- Openness to public speaking in multiple formats, from radio to TV to live events
- A collaborative spirit and a cool head
We’re especially interested in candidates who
- Have worked in local journalism in Oakland
- Are personally grounded in underserved communities represented in Oakland
- Have demonstrated experience in community engagement, audience growth, data-driven reporting, or multi-format storytelling
How we’ll support you
- Top-notch in-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training
- Training in public speaking and live moderation
The salary for this position is $90,000. We offer a health plan, four weeks of paid leave, and a 401(k) match. This position is based in Oakland.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Note: The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. PST, Monday, March 2.
Read about Berkeleyside.
Read about Oakland and our expansion.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020