||February 03, 2020
||Magazines / Publishing, Digital Media
||$55,000 to $65,000
Smithsonian magazine seeks an Associate Web Editor in our Washington, D.C., office to conceptualize, create, commission, edit and manage online science content. They will be responsible for the management of the science channel of Smithsonianmag.com, including any related special sections as they arise, as well as consult on science editorial matters in other parts of the site.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with freelance writers and editors: Assign stories, negotiate contract terms, edit content. Recruit writers for various beats and topics.
- Conceptualize new editorial products and produce “proof-of-concept” rollout plans and audience development strategies for them.
- Collaborate with Smithsonian Institution on coverage of areas of particular interest, including Earth Optimism, Women’s History, Mars exploration, and Human Origins
- Coordinate with Assistant Digital Editor, Science, on coverage of breaking news.
- Review audience metrics and adapt strategies for enhancing audience growth and revenue.
- Monitor trending topics in the news and on social media, identify opportunities to promote related Smithsonian magazine stories.
- Publish content and photos using content management system.
- Represent Smithsonian Media on topics related to science in meetings and public events with the Smithsonian Institution.
- Identify needs of Smithsonian partners and execute best strategies to achieve goals of all collaborators.
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar for science sections of the site.
- Work with advertising sales, e-commerce, and other revenue-generating areas of the digital media team to create new concepts and ideas for monetization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific field or science journalism preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Web and/or print journalism with interest in science, particularly space, biology, climate change, human behavior, and earth science.
- Knowledge of HTML, Adobe Photoshop, content management systems, and digital video production
- Excellent written, verbal, research, organizational and analytical skills necessary to carry out duties in an efficient and effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple assignments and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Salary: $55k - $65k annually – Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, along with a link to writing samples to:
Please include job title in the subject line. Candidates selected for interview may be asked to complete an editing test and/or writing assignment.
Excellent Benefit programs including Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Annual and Sick Leave Accrual, Family Friendly Leave, 403b Retirement Program, Discounts for Smithsonian Memberships, Museum Stores and Restaurants, Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Employees are required to serve a one-year probationary period and participate in Direct Deposit for salary payment. This is not a Federal Service position. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Relocation expenses are not paid.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2020