|Date Posted||January 21, 2020|
Title: News Reporter/Producer, WCBU
This position is responsible for reporting, writing, editing, hosting, and producing news and other programming and content for dissemination on multiple WCBU delivery platforms, including on-air and digital, as assigned by supervisor(s).
Produces on-air and digital local content for the station, including news-gathering, writing, editing, production, performance, and hosting of daily newscasts, in-depth reports, interviews, articles, social media posts, shows, or other content related to news and public affairs as assigned by supervisor(s). This includes attending local news conferences, meetings, and planned and un-planned news events, and developming and cultivating news contacts within the Peoria community and the WCBU listening area. Adheres to formats and related rules, and complies with station and FCC rules and regulations.
1. Any one or any combination totaling three (3) years (36 months) of the following types of preparation:
a) progressively more responsible work experience in the production and presentation of radio or television programs, social media, and/or print or online journalism
b) vocational training in radio and/or television production, journalism, social media, news or feature writing and/or announcing or closely related fields
c) college course work in radio/television, journalism, social media, news or feature writing or closely related fields
-60 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)
-75 semester hours equals one (1) year and six (6) months (18 months)
-90-semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
-120 semester hours or a Bachelor's degree equals three (3) years (36 months)
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience in the production and presentation of radio or television programs, social media, and/or print or online journalism in addition to the preparation required in #1 above.
3. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to that performed at the Media Writer/Producer/Announcer I level of this series or in other positions of comparable responsibility.
4. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Bachelor's degree in mass communications, journalism, media management, or similar.
2. Experience as public broadcasting host, reporter or producer.
3. Knowledge of central Illinois and statewide news issues and personalities .
4. Ability to gather information through interviews and then write clear and concise stores to engage an audience.
5. Familiarity with a wide range of current information in many disciplines touching on the public and cultural life of the nation and the local community.
6. Ability to provide summaries and overviews of issues and events as they develop in public discourse.
7. Ability to quickly absorb information and locate and synthesize disparate sources of data.
8. Familiarity with data processing skills, social media, media consumption, the internet, public records and documents, governmental bodies, and the community that the radio station serves.
9. Knowledge of generally accepted journalistic standards of objectivity, fairness, and balance when editing own work and the work of others, as well as working knowledge of The Associated Press Stylebook.
10. Ability to balance competing priorities and work on tight daily deadlines and longer term projects with a high degree of accuracy.
11. Ability to comfortably interact with the general public.
12. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
13. Understanding of best practices for using social media platforms to disseminate and source news stories.