|Date Posted||January 13, 2020|
Hubbard DC, which includes WTOP and Federal News Network, is committed to reporting relevant news for our region. Through continuously evolving brands, we connect consumers with advertisers across a growing number of distribution platforms including radio, podcasts, social media, and websites. We do this with a commitment to our community...while growing our people and profits.
This position assists editors, reports to anchors with the day to day operations of the newsroom.
· Coordinate and communicate effectively with anchors, writers, reporters and broadcast editors to ensure the on-air product meets WTOP's high journalistic standards and core brand attributes
· Help deliver news with a sense of urgency 24/7 KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Ensure broadcast anchors have everything needed for a flawless broadcast, including reporter scripts and audio files
· Screen every piece of audio and script in hourly rundowns to ensure WTOP quality standards are being met
· Continuous monitoring of the editor's rundown for upcoming and timely stories and liveshots that are booked
· Edit/tighten/produce live interviews so editors can re-package for on-air use
· Actively pursue news tips that come in via email, phone call or other official sources
· Monitor local/national news outlets, social media and email to make sure WTOP is on top of the most relevant and breaking news stories of the day
· Answer phone calls and emails from listeners, providing top-notch customer service from WTOP
· Help develop story ideas for reporters to pursue
· Write news stories and edit audio files, as needed
· Contact affiliates and news sources for interviews and information
· Communicate effectively with digital editors to share new information on stories WTOP is covering and opportunities to tease to WTOP's digital platforms
· Other duties as assigned
· Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
· 1-2 years professional experience in the broadcast news industry (radio or television)
· In-depth knowledge of local D.C. news market, preferred
· Strong leadership and communication skills
· Strong writing and interviewing skills
· Knowledge of newswire services
· Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Burli, and Wide Orbit, preferred
· Ability to work quickly in breaking news situations and handle stressful situations in a calm manner
· Ability to multitask, work under pressure and meet deadlines
· Project an appropriate and professional appearance and demeanor
· Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
· Ability to function well in a team environment
· Ability to work weekdays and weekends. News assistants must be able to work early morning, midday, evening and overnight shifts.
An equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.