|Date Posted||January 13, 2020|
Hubbard DC, which includes WTOP and Federal News Network, is committed to reporting relevant news for our region. Through continuously evolving brands, we connect consumers with advertisers across a growing number of distribution platforms including radio, podcasts, social media, and websites. We do this with a commitment to our community...while growing our people and profits.
WTOP anchors are responsible for delivering the news accurately, with an appropriate tone, and in a smooth manner devoid of errors. WTOP's audio product is distributed across multiple platforms including radio, web, WTOP's app, smart speakers, social media and other third-party providers. WTOP anchors are a vital part of the team that makes WTOP the leading provider of local, timely and relevant news for the Washington, DC metro region.
· Read news stories and play reporter pieces
· Operate the studio board - play commercials, news content and station imaging elements; operate mics
· Write news stories in a clear, concise and interesting way to be read on air
· Help deliver news with a sense of urgency 24/7
· Deliver the news accurately without stumbles
· Write news stories to be read on air by both yourself and other anchors. Break down complicated and involved stories so they are easy to understand.
· Enterprise and develop stories and interview ideas for daily broadcasts.
· Operate the Emergency Alert System for the DC area
· Write clear, accurate and interesting stories. Revise scripts as needed throughout your shift to keep them fresh and up-to-date
· Maintain standards of accuracy and fairness in news coverage
· Must be able to effectively ad lib during breaking news events as well as during live interviews
· Keep abreast of new developments in stories being covered by WTOP
· Provide newsroom leadership and contribute to the overall team effort to deliver relevant news to the DC region
· Comply with the moral code of the journalism profession
· Attend editorial and strategic meetings, as needed
· Complete other duties as requested
· Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
· 4-5 years professional anchoring experience in the news industry (radio or television)
· Be a great storyteller. Strong writing, interviewing and audio production skills required.
· Ability to write quickly and on deadline.
· Ability to manage the clock and hit WTOP's benchmarks. Anchors must adhere to WTOP's strict clock guidelines.
· Must be extremely knowledgeable of local/national/international issues, newsmakers and current events
· Must be able to think quickly, maintain performance under extreme pressure and respond to breaking news in an effective manner
· Work closely and respectfully with broadcast editors, writers, reporters, news directors and digital staff
· Ability to interview live guests on the top news of the day in an unbiased manner
· Highly developed public speaking and interpersonal skills along with exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
· Understand the radio market, including Nielsen data
· Ability to work weekdays and weekends, as needed. Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, holidays, and extended hours
· Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours
· Act in a professional manner when representing the station. Project an appropriate and professional appearance and demeanor
· Strong leadership and communication skills
· Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Burli, and Wide Orbit, preferred
· Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
· Ability to function well in a team environment
· Make community appearances as needed
· Voice spots as needed by WTOP's production team
· Welcome feedback and constructive criticism
· Must have a valid driver's license, a good driving record and be insurable. Applicant's driving record will be checked.
An equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.