|Date Posted||January 13, 2020|
Hubbard DC, which includes WTOP and Federal News Network, is committed to reporting relevant news for our region. Through continuously evolving brands, we connect consumers with advertisers across a growing number of distribution platforms including radio, podcasts, social media, and websites. We do this with a commitment to our community...while growing our people and profits.
The Broadcast Editor oversees story selection and story flow on an hourly basis to make WTOP News the leading provider of local, timely and relevant news and information for the Washington, DC metro region.
Essential Job Functions:
* Oversee story selection and the dissemination of news on the radio on an hour-by-hour basis
* Coordinate and communicate effectively with anchors, writers, reporters and assistant editors about what is needed for on-air product
* Ensure all news meets WTOP's core brand attributes, and falls within all company and legal parameters
* Work with News Directors and Assignments Managers to help ensure accuracy in all WTOP news reports
* Deliver news with a sense of urgency 24/7
* Create news rundowns/lineups on an hour-by-hour basis, ensuring WTOP is delivering the most up-to-date information on stories we are following
* Help develop story ideas for reporters to pursue
* Work with assignments manager to help assign reporters to cover the biggest stories of the day
* Conduct quality control checks of all reporter pieces and other radio scripts
* Direct assistant editor on responsibilities of the day
* Alert news directors to scripts and audio that do not meet WTOP's standards
* Monitor local/national news outlets, social media and email to make sure WTOP is on top of the most relevant and breaking news stories of the day
* Write news stories and edit audio files, as needed.
* Contact affiliates and news sources for interviews and information, as needed.
* Communicate effectively with digital editors to share new information on stories we are covering and opportunities to tease to the digital platforms.
* Other duties as assigned
* Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field, preferred
* Minimum 2-3 years professional experience as a radio or television news producer/editor
* In-depth knowledge of local D.C. news market
* Strong leadership and communication skills
* Strong writing and interviewing skills
* Knowledge of newswire services
* Ability to work quickly in breaking news situations and handle stressful situations in a calm manner
* Ability to multitask, work under pressure and meet deadlines
* Project an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor
* Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
* Ability to function well in a team environment
* Ability to work established schedule and other hours as needed
An equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.