|Date Posted||December 02, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Are you the one?
We are looking for a General Manager to lead our daily operations for Cache Valley Publishing, an APG property, located in beautiful Logan Utah. CVP publishes the Logan Herald Journal (3-day publication) and three associated weeklies – Tremonton Leader, Preston Citizen and Montpelier News-Examiner.
Logan, Utah is home to Utah State University making this market young, vibrant and growing. Located 1.5 hours from Salt Lake City, you can enjoy all the big city has to offer while based in one of the best towns in the west. Outdoor recreation is literally outside your front door while culture and athletic events are abundantly available.
If you are the one, you will be revenue focused, community minded and a team-builder with an inherent desire to succeed. Being visible and active in the community is a must while you are simultaneously helping your team succeed through excellent news coverage, advertising products that matter and growth of the operation.
The General Manager has local control over their products and destiny, all the while being supported by the APG network of resources. You will have access to a great team to support you both in market and throughout the company not to mention excellent benefits including 401K, medical insurance and paid time off.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS -
• Five years newspaper experience in advertising and marketing, editorial and circulation with direct supervision and P&L responsibility.
• Ability to use a phone and basic computer programs and use the Internet and e-mail.
• Valid drivers’ license and proof of insurance.
• College degree
• Excellent ability to read, write and speak English.
• Ability to work on deadline and under pressure.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS –
Additional preferred skills and qualifications include:
• Advertising Sales experience
• Basic accounting skills
• General understanding of publishing operations
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS -
Applicants must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation:
• Stand or sit for extended periods of time in various settings (including indoor and outdoor environments).
• Travel to appointments and other locations in a 100-mile radius.
• Perform mathematical calculations at a college level.
• Communicate effectively over a telephone.
• Direct the newspaper’s editorial coverage
• Supervise all newspaper departments
• Plan and launch new products
• Develop marketing materials for sales staff
• Ensure the newspaper meets production deadlines
• Prepare annual budget and complete variance reports as needed
• Interact successfully with others in a business setting
• Work collaboratively in a team environment to meet customer needs.
• Work successfully with others in a busy deadline-driven environment.
• Maintain regular attendance.
Essential functions for Cache Valley Publishing Co. General Manager:
• A culture of collaboration and empowerment is maintained.
o Employees are given prompt and useful training, coaching, and recognition.
o Employees know what is expected of them.
o Issues affecting work performance are addressed and resolved.
o Two-way communication occurs by listening and by providing useful information.
• Company policies are followed and enforced
o Supervisor is familiar with and remains consistent with the Employee Handbook.
o Accident reports, timecards, performance reviews, etc. are completed on time.
o The supervisor sets an example for employees to follow.
• Procedures are developed and standardized to improve efficiency.
o Coordination with other departments, publications, offices and buildings creates a smooth workflow.
Essential functions of a Cache Valley Publishing Co. Department Head:
• Trains coaches and manages supervisors to:
o Build company culture and foster mission and vision.
o Prepare and administer employee reviews consistent with company practice.
o Foster a safety conscience workplace.
o Understand and participate in strategic planning and execution.
o Build public trust.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS –
• Other duties as assigned by the Regional President and Publisher.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The General Manager works both in a busy office environment and in the field and at other Cache Valley Publishing Co. offices as meetings dictate. Transportation is required.
OTHER - The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other departments to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
All employees are expected to maintain a professional appearance, in both their personal presentation, hygiene and attire. Clothes should be neat and clean, avoiding extremes in fashion and fit.
Employees are encouraged to use company-provided safety and ergonomic equipment, including, but not limited to, wrist rests, lifting belts, hearing protection, eye protection, rubber gloves, copy stands, etc.8
If you are the one to join our team and lead Cache Valley Publishing, be sure to apply at:
Regional President & Publisher
Adams Publishing Group – East Idaho & Utah
Pocatello – 208-232-4275 | Idaho Falls – 208-542-6745
Cell Phone – 208-731-0275
The fringe benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year’s end.
Send your resume to this employer.