The News Revenue Hub provides custom technology solutions to nonprofit and for-profit news organizations, including a donations application; email marketing-CRM integration; and audience development tools.
We are seeking a Senior Technical Director to lead planning, development, and delivery of these products. The Director will work with stakeholders including developers, designers, consultants, staff, and clients to perform due diligence, plan, and deliver projects on time, while minimizing or removing technical debt and other risks, and ensuring compliance with best practices.
Throughout the lifecycle of each project, the Director tracks project status and coordinates project teams and shared resources. The Director manages all technical projects from beginning to end, leading relevant discussions, code reviews, and rigorous testing to ensure quality.
- Coordinate with contract developers and Hub staff members to define technical project priorities, goals, assumptions, scope, requirements, constraints, and evaluation criteria. Make projects manageable for developers and create schedules based on organizational priorities and resource availability.
- Manage the data flow, including design, development, testing, release, and monitoring. Review and approve pull requests. Contribute code when appropriate. Lead and conduct rigorous tests throughout life cycle to identify defects. Catch significant issues ahead of time, or identify significant issues immediately and roll back when necessary. Contribute detailed documentation.
- Maintain coding standards for security, performance, ease of maintenance, and scalability. Employ Agile and user-centered design methodologies.
- Make strategic decisions to advance business and client priorities, taking smart risks and championing own ideas.
- Help identify staffing needs on your team and advocate for/recruit additional members.
- Provide support to client and audience teams as needed. Train and cultivate Hub staff members who show promise.
This job might be for you if you have
- At least 5 years of professional experience in web development, product management, and/or technical management, ideally in an agency or news industry setting. You feel comfortable getting hands-on in all three areas.
- Experience planning sprints, roadmapping, and leading a team of contract developers.
- Experience with APIs and web services, including but not limited to Stripe, MailChimp, and Salesforce.
- Excellent listening and communication skills with attention to detail.
- A resourceful streak; an innate ability to troubleshoot; a continuous learning mindset; excellent time management and self-motivation in a 100% remote environment.
Nice to have
- Understand journalism as a cause and force for good, and/or have experience with nonprofit business models.
- Advanced experience with Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, AdWords, and Sheets, and/or meet the technical and practical criteria for being a Google Certified Partner.
- Experience with audience development, including SEO, newsletters, etc.
- Experience working in R.
- Experience with UX principles, analysis, and user testing.
What do you get in return
- Opportunity: Make an impact with a nationally prominent role and access to resources.
- Professional development: We want you to grow and to learn, and get value from your work with us. We will help you do so.
- Autonomy: We will give clearly defined goals. We don’t want to micromanage, we want you to get things done.
- Help our clients succeed: help make journalism possible and help find its audience.
- Benefits: Generous package including flexible schedule; unlimited vacation; full health benefits; retirement matching, and more.
This is a full time, salaried position with benefits. The position is 100% remote but may require occasional travel.
The News Revenue Hub is committed to a diverse workplace. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.
Salary range is $100,000-120,000 per year, depending on experience.
If you are interested in this position, please apply here by December 15, 2019.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019