|Date Posted||January 14, 2020|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
WGAL, the Hearst Television NBC affiliate in Lancaster, PA, is looking for an Anchor/Reporter to join our award-winning journalism team. The ideal candidate brings the energy of live reporting to the anchor desk every day. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we are looking for someone who isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions and hold those in power accountable. This position includes field work and the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to break big stories, enterprise exclusives, and execute energetic live shots.
Our anchors are newsroom leaders who work hand-in-hand with producers and reporters to build excellent newscasts. They write and edit scripts with conversational communication in mind. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources and has excellent live reporting skills.
• Deliver on-air news, both live and recorded, scripted and unscripted, with clarity, accuracy and confidence.
• Collaborate with producers and reporters in newscast production
• Build sources, generate enterprise story ideas and participate in editorial meetings.
• Coordinate with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles and have exclusive content
• Contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day and engage with audiences on social platforms.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Appears on behalf of the station at public events
• Past anchoring experience (at least 3-5 years preferred)
• Past reporting experience (at least 3-5
• Ability to enterprise and uncover impactful stories
• Excellent research skills
• Related military experience will be considered
• Proven Anchor with ability to connect with viewers, in addition to strong reporting skills
• Strong writing and storytelling skills and ability to convey information in a clear, concise and conversational manner
• Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Has a valid driver’s license, and a clear driving record
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as needed
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Strong research skills, including the ability to navigate online search engines
• Knowledge of the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) process
• Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.