||November 18, 2019
Job Title: Director of Content Strategy and Production
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global litigation and legal policy organization using the power of law to advance reproductive rights as fundamental human rights around the world. Headquartered in New York City, the non-profit, non-partisan organization has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC; a staff of approximately 200 diverse professionals; an annual budget of approximately $40 million with an additional $22 million in donated services from leading law firms around the globe.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the United States on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Role: The Director of Content Strategy and Production will be a creative, hardworking, and strategically sophisticated individual who will help drive the Center’s brand forward during a period of significant change and growth. The Director of Content Strategy and Production will play a critical role in ideating content, develop thought leadership and platform concepts that will deepen engagement with key audiences and raise the Center’s profile and visibility. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker, strategist, and doer with collaborative energy and drive to help further the Center’s ambitious mission. The successful candidate will be an exceptional written and verbal communicator with strong management skills, extensive multimedia production and art direction experience, and a strategic thinker who is up for a challenge.
Must be a proactive communicator and generator of ideas, who can build strategies and plans for long-term projects as well as deliver high-quality work on quick turnaround. She/He/They must be committed to working with the Communications Leadership Team to building an integrated communications capability and department for the Center.
The Director of Content Strategy and Production will build and supervise an editorial and creative team. She/He/They will report to the Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications and will work closely with other members of the Communications team, as well as program teams (US and Global) and Development (Fundraising).
This position will be based in New York City.
- Develop a content strategy that advances the Center’s mission, creating compelling content across platforms to achieve brand, strategic plan, and business objectives
- Supervise the production of high-quality content in breaking news situations, special initiatives, and long-term planning that raises the Center’s visibility
- In partnership with Digital Director, oversee content production for social media properties and integrate stories and thought leadership on the Center’s front-end curation and back-end publishing tools
- In partnership with Director of Media Relations, develop content that will garner earned media opportunities to further communications goals
- Work closely with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO) and Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications on the rebuild and redesign of the Center’s website
- Work with CMCO, Deputy Director, Director of Media Relations, editorial staff, and program staff on op-ed strategies and ideas
- Work closely with Communications Leadership Team to develop a content strategy that brings the Center’s key audiences to reproductiverights.org and ensuring that content across all institutional channels is timed strategically, consistent, and on brand
MANAGEMENT: Serve as a creative, engaged, and enthusiastic mentor to build and lead a team, that adheres to a standard of excellence and achievement.
- Oversee, guide, edit, and manage the work of the Managing Editor, Senior Multimedia Producer, and Graphic Designer and in close collaboration with other unit leads in the Communications Department. Establish baseline KPIs to measure the impact of content strategy, ensuring accountability to the executive leadership and Board of Directors
- Serve as a trusted partner to the Communications Leadership Team, which comprising the CMCO, Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of Media Relations, and Digital Director
- Direct or oversee the production of Center videos, original photography, publications, op-eds, collateral materials, and other content as well as materials to be used by program staff, ensuring they are in line with the Center’s brand and standards
- Superb editing and superior writing skills, with the ability to shape clear and compelling content with precise attention to detail and facts;
- At least 15 years of experience in a managerial capacity in a traditional or digital newsroom or other relevant experience with a highly developed web, video, photo, audio, and design skill set
- Excellent judgment
- Superior management skills and ability to enforce deadlines; Strong experience editing and managing writers and content creators
- Demonstrated ability to effectively oversee multiple projects in a complex cross-disciplinary environment with quick turnaround times
- Excellent editorial judgment coupled with knowledge of the risk, legal, and ethical issues associated with publishing content and thought leadership on behalf of an organization
- Strong experience and excellent editorial judgment in understanding how third-party content should be used for a global non-profit organization
- Strong experience on informed consent
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to prioritize and multi-task, while driving results
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving, and mentoring skills, and a calm, diplomatic demeanor—even in times of intense pressure.
- Proven ability to build productive working relationships with colleagues at all levels across an organization;
- Strong listening and analytical skills;
- A positive team player who is willing to go above and beyond to advance the Center’s mission and to benefit the clients and communities that the Center serves;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field;
- Experience in reproductive rights a plus;
- Travel required roughly 10-15% percent of the time;
- Legal and policy background preferred;
- Technical skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint); SEO; WordPress; Adobe Experience Manager (preferred);
- Spanish is a plus
- Strategic thinking: Applies big-picture thinking while also focusing on the details of implementation.
- Decisiveness: Consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner supportive of the Center's mission, core values, and strategic objectives. Blends vision and judgment.
- Collaboration: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Receives and Provides Direct Feedback: Actively gives and requests feedback to and from peers, supervisors and direct reports (If applicable) about work products, behaviors, values, style and approaches with a view on how this impacts self, other individuals and teams.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Commitment to learn: Applies a growth mentality to their own and their team’s (if applicable) development. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Passion for Coaching, and Mentoring Staff: Empowers and motivates employees and creates opportunities for learning, development, and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the future development of team members. (if applicable)
- Accountability: Follows through on each commitment made to individual contributors, teams and partners and proactively informs others of any delays that occur along the way. Holds team members accountable.
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center’s high standards and mission.
- Empathy: Serves as an empathetic, approachable leader who engenders trust and confidence. (if applicable)
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please complete the application at https://reproductiverights.org/careers?gh_jid=4490756002?gh_jid=4490756002 to apply. A cover letter and resume must be included in your application. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.
Please note that all genuine Center openings must be applied through the Center website. The Center does not charge a fee at any stage in the recruitment process (application, interviews, or selection). Nor does it request any medical examinations or bank account inform as part of this process. If someone contacts you on behalf of the Center requesting payment for your application please notify firstname.lastname@example.org before taking any further action.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019