|Date Posted||November 07, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Memphis Business Journal is looking for a Managing Editor to serve as the newsroom’s chief operating officer. While the ME oversees and ensures the smooth flow of content from conception to publishing on all platforms, the ideal candidate is particularly adept at and has a particular passion for digital excellence.
As the newsroom’s most hands-on manager and coach of reporters, the ME brings ideas, inspiration, and guidance to the staff, and actively directs the deployment of resources online, on mobile, in email, print and on social.
The ME reports directly to the Editor in Chief.
• Employ whip smart news judgment and a solid news sense
• Make smart snap judgments about how best to tell stories
• Manage both people and content exceedingly well
• Motivate and help newsroom tell compelling stories
• Inspire, motivate and mentor reporters, editors and other staff members
• Keep the newsroom organized, on time and on the rails
• Embrace and manage growth and change
• Believe that serving your audience is a newsroom’s chief responsibility
• Communicate exceptionally well
• Create a collegial, collaborative newsroom culture and vibe
• Proven interest in and aptitude for team leadership (even when you’re not officially the leader)
• Ability to coach talented reporters and visual journalists
• Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment
• Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporting and story development
• Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects
• Ease working in a rapid-fire digital environment and on social media
• Weekly print experience in a business news operation a plus
• Minimum of 8-10 years in a newsroom
• Beat reporting experience required
• Management experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals; email@example.com
The Memphis Business Journal and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The Philadelphia Business Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.