||October 29, 2019
The Catholic Herald supports the evangelization efforts of the bishop and the diocese by publishing a weekly Catholic newspaper, online content, podcasts and videos. The Staff Writer and Photographer writes features and covers local events and newsworthy people and places in order to support the Herald's newspaper, website, podcast and social media.
- Travel around the diocese to cover newsworthy events, people and places.
- Develop stories that inspire and educate the Catholic faithful in northern Virginia.
- Write and revise articles (on average 2-3 a week).
- Work with editors to make any necessary changes to stories in a timely manner.
- Take photographs and short videos of people, places and events.
- Process photos and write captions.
- Assist with writing and editing scripts for podcasts and conduct podcast interviews.
- Assist with creation of social media content as needed.
- When time and workload permit, assist the managing editor, editorial assistant and production coordinator in proofreading and layout of weekly newspaper.
- Knowledge/Skills: Ability to work independently and with self-motivation and creativity to find and complete assignments that are interesting and/or present different angles to inspirational, educational, and informative stories. Ability to be a team player who assists in getting the paper to press each week and manages digital media assets of the Herald/Communications Office. Strong command of the English language and the written word. Strong communication and interviewing skills. Knowledge of AP, CNS and HERALD styles. Knowledge of photo/video composition with the ability to use a DSLR camera. Ability to record and assemble short videos. Proficiency in MS Word; basic working knowledge of desktop publishing helpful. Basic knowledge of the Catholic Church, its beliefs and teachings is essential.
- Education Required: Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, or Communications or equivalent degree and experience.
- Licenses/Certifications: Valid driver's license must be maintained at all times.
- Years and Types of Experience: 2 – 5 years journalism or related experience.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019