|Date Posted||October 24, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
Assistant Managing Editor
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications, Golden Rain Foundation
The Golden Rain Foundation is recruiting for an Assistant Managing Editor to join our team. Qualified candidates will work near downtown Walnut Creek, in the lovely gated residential community of Rossmoor.
The Assistant Managing Editor will assist the Director of Communications with the operational responsibilities and management of content, the websites and production of the Rossmoor News, a once weekly print newspaper serving the 9,000-plus residents of Rossmoor in Walnut Creek. The Assistant also will serve as the managing editor when the Director of Communications is out of the office. An ideal candidate can wear many hats – reporter, editor, web producer and designer – while efficiently multitasking in a fast-paced, deadline environment.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave accrual and 401(k) with match.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Edit articles provided by club correspondents and contributing writers, as well as staff- written stories;
• Help generate article ideas and photo assignments;
• Manage and update Rossmoor.com and RossmoorNews.com;
• Report and write articles, ranging from breaking news and meetings coverage to issues and news affecting Rossmoor;
• Help answer a high-volume of emails and phone calls;
• Dummy layouts;
• Perform duties when staff are on vacation, including sell ads, classifieds and legals; design pages; take photos; and supervise news carriers;
• Assist the managing editor with the overall News operation and run the newsroom in the managing editor’s absence.
• Minimum five years of newspaper experience, including two years at the management level;
• Writing and editing experience with strong spelling and grammar skills, along with knowledge of AP style are a must;
• Proficiency with Microsoft applications and WordPress are required;
• Experience with InDesign, Acrobat Pro and PhotoShop are preferred;
• Familiarity with laying out dummies, designing pages and selling ads and classified are a plus;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, multitask environment is essential.
• Clean and valid California driver license and satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continuing employment;
• Ability to meet the Dept. of Homeland Security requirements confirming identity and right to work in the United States is required;
• Offer is contingent upon satisfactorily passing pre-employment background check and drug test
• Previous employment must be verifiable.
LOCAL APPLICANTS ONLY; RELOCATION IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
THE GOLDEN RAIN FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Send your resume to this employer.