||October 21, 2019
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Design Associate to join its growing digital team. This person will support our in-house creative team with graphic design for social, email, and websites as well as rapid-response design requests. The Design Associate will join a team with a mission to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that helps build the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling graphic content, with an emphasis on designing for social media. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and we’re looking for someone who can help create shareable, digestible content that breaks through the clutter and grab people’s attention—both in helping to tear down President Trump’s harmful policies and in building up the case for a progressive future.
A strong candidate for this role is passionate about progressive politics and has a strong background in design principles and technical knowledge.
- Work with the rest of the creative team and broader CAP Action War Room to pitch, develop, and produce graphics and design products that advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Use graphics, data visualizations, and animation to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to target platforms and audiences.
- Coordinate with the story bank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Capture photos at events and on field shoots.
- Maintain a creative archive that catalogues and categorizes social graphics, email wrappers and templates, video stills, and performance metrics.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in graphic design for social and email.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to three years of professional experience working in graphic design.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Excel.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies as well as how they intersect with the news.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019