American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director/Director of Editorial to join a small management team that works together to run all aspects of production on a day-to-day basis. A player-manager role, the Associate Director/Director will help assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to rapid-response columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Associate Director/Director will contribute to the writing and editing of American Progress products; daily production of the website; hiring, training, and management of Editorial team staff; various digital projects including websites; and short- and long-term planning.
Ideal candidates will have a clear understanding of American Progress’ mission and a thoughtful approach to collaboration with a variety of writers and policy experts.
- Line edit and copyedit American Progress’ products, including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Manage a team of copyeditors.
- Help conceptualize and scaffold complex policy ideas and create narrative companion pieces that are accessible to large audiences.
- Write and/or project-manage large, organizationwide reports.
- Work collaboratively with policy team leads, functional teams, as well as the Managing Director and Managing Editor. Fill in for the Managing Director as needed.
- Work on the conception and execution of interactives, videos, and special projects related to edited reports and issue briefs.
- Conduct writing trainings with authors and editors.
- Edit and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Help maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Help maintain the accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least seven years of writing and editing experience with the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to a general audience.
- Strong management skills to oversee a diverse team.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced journalistic environment under time constraints.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability and strong interest in training others, especially on writing best practices.
- Strong project management and problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Proficiency with AP Style and WordPress.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019