||October 10, 2019
||$65,000 to $70,000
Temporary Full-Time Assignment Editor (Maternity Leave Coverage)
Rewire.News (www.rewire.news) is a nonprofit journalism outlet devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth to power, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News is an independent 501(c)(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
Rewire.News is seeking an assignment editor to provide temporary coverage while one of our editors is out on maternity leave. Starting in October 2019 and ending April 15, 2020, the assignment editor will assist Rewire.News’ editorial team in publishing content meeting the highest-quality standards. Specifically, the assignment editor will:
- Oversee publication of some of the site’s feature-length reported articles, commentary pieces, and analyses;
- Assist with publication of the site’s news pieces, when necessary;
- Ensure accuracy and factual integrity in all stories for which they are responsible;
- Generate ideas for stories and assign articles to staff or freelance writers, as appropriate;
- Assist with updating stories, when applicable;
- Field story pitches from staff and freelance writers and have a keen sense of what pitches to accept;
- Effectively and proficiently manage a wide range of writers with a diverse set of styles, backgrounds, and experience;
- Keep on top of the zeitgeist with regard to reproductive health and justice. Know what conversations are happening in various online spaces;
- Work within Rewire.News’ reporting guidelines;
- Identify reporters and writers whose voices and/or reporting would be an asset to Rewire.News’ vision;
- Provide frequent reports back to senior editorial staff.
The ideal candidate for this position has:
- A minimum of three years’ demonstrated experience assigning, editing, and publishing articles at a news publication;
- Extremely high standards of quality as demonstrated by previous works;
- Ability to adapt to and follow Rewire.News’ style guide;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- The ability to work well both with a team and independently;
- Experience editing features and long-form journalism, as well as opinion/commentary;
- Knowledge about journalistic ethics and reporting best practices evidenced by their track record editing and publishing articles meeting the Society of Professional Journalists' Code of Ethics;
- Connections with reporters and writers, with a focus on racial, ethnic, and geographic diversity;
- Impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills;
- The ability to take direction and critique;
- An interest in and understanding of social justice issues;
- A strong sense of humor;
- Superb news judgment;
- The focus and drive to work effectively in a remote setting;
- Familiarity with WordPress and Slack.
Rewire.News is a virtual organization. Candidates must be based in the United States, able to work during business hours in the Eastern time zone, and have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work. Strong preference will be given to qualified candidates in the Eastern time zone. We regret we cannot consider candidates for this position who cannot meet these parameters.
Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD.
Salary: equivalent to $70,000 on an annual basis; please note that this is a full-time, temporary position.
Applicants should check the Rewire.News jobs page to ensure that the position is still open prior to applying.
Please follow these instructions carefully. Qualified applicants should send an electronic package of materials to firstname.lastname@example.org; no phone calls or emails to staff please. Please note: We CANNOT accept your application if it is not sent in the following format and does not include the following materials.
- Email subject line: MUST include the title of the position for which you are applying and your full name: Temp Assignment Editor: Your Name.
- Body of the email: The body of your email should be your cover letter, including a clear statement as to why you are interested in this position, why you want to work for Rewire.News, why you feel you are qualified, and a summary of your relevant experience. Please do not send the cover letter as an attachment.
- Attachments: Please include a current resume; a list of three articles you’ve assigned, edited, and published; and three references able to speak to your skills and experience and who are willing to be contacted, including at least one reference that directly supervised your work.
We regret that we may not be able to reply to all applicants and that we cannot consider applicants who do not provide all the above information.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019