|Date Posted||October 10, 2019|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Ready to lead a forward-thinking newsroom with a killer view of mountains and mesas? Albuquerque Business First, the award-winning business news leader in Central New Mexico, is looking for a Managing Editor.
The Managing Editor is the newsroom’s chief operating officer, overseeing and ensuring the smooth and orderly flow of news and information from conception to publishing on all platforms. As the newsroom’s most hands-on manager and coach of reporters, the M.E. is charged with bringing ideas, inspiration and constant guidance to the news team. Reporting directly to the Editor-In-Chief (EIC), the Managing Editor actively oversees and directs the deployment of resources across the many publishing platforms – online, mobile, email, print, social, etc. – hour by hour, minute by minute.
The M.E. is charged with guiding the constant programming efforts of the news team, and as such, must possess a solid news sense, an ability to make snap judgments about the proper treatment of stories, and a high level of confidence in orchestrating the many simultaneous actions of the editorial team members.
Organization must be a strength, as the M.E. is responsible for the efficiency of the news gathering and news production operation. As with all newsrooms, resources come at a premium, and well-oiled processes are required for making the most of them. The M.E. must always be asking how the operation can run more smoothly and productively. The M.E. also is expected to serve as a change agent in the newsroom, advocating for the improvements and resources that take Business First’s news coverage to the next level.
• Run the operational side of the newsroom, ensuring story and project assignments are made, story and production deadlines adhered to and editorial standards met.
• Develop, oversee, edit and write stories.
• Work directly with reporters and manage them throughout the day on stories of all types; steer reporters toward beat-driven exclusive stories and scoops.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, email newsletter circulation growth, paid print subscribership and other such measures.
• Orchestrate staff-produced media – images, charts, infographics — for multiple products across multiple platforms. Specifically, this requires conceptualizing storytelling strategies with reporters and making snap decisions on where best to route media.
• Regularly participate in and attend Business First-sponsored events.
• Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
· Editing experience
· Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects
Skills the ideal candidate will possess:
· Three to five years of management and/or team leadership experience
· Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment
· Daily, and preferably, weekly print experience for a business news operation
· Beat reporter experience
· Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporter and story development
· Serves as inspiring, motivational force in newsroom
· Exposure to online environment and social media; blogging and online reporting a plus.
Please send your resume, cover letter and three to five published clips to Rachel Sams, Editor-in-Chief, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
About the company: Albuquerque Business First is owned by American City Business Journals, which provides comprehensive, exclusive coverage of local business in 43 markets across the country. American City Business Journals is a unit of Advance Publications Inc.
Business leaders look to Albuquerque Business First for local news and connections. We are growing in subscribers, readers, digital audience, e-news products and event attendees. If you thrive in an environment where you can innovate and lead, we invite you to apply.Albuquerque Business First is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.