||October 06, 2019
||$60,000 to $65,000
Please note: Women and non-binary people of color are strongly encouraged to apply!
Summary: Autostraddle.com is looking for a visionary with leadership chops, experience in digital media and a repository of big ideas you’ve been itching to unleash upon the world. As the world’s leading website for LGBTQ women & other trans people, we seek out smart, innovative, creative professionals with a passion for intersectional feminism, queer community and culture who thrive best when given space to fulfill their personal and big-picture ambitions. The Deputy Editor is the highest-ranking editor besides the Editor-in-Chief.
You will be primarily working remotely, but we are looking for an Editor in Los Angeles to occasionally co-work in person with the editor-in-chief. We are open to applicants in New York and San Francisco as well, or those willing to relocate to LA within six months. This is due to the number of in-person events, meetings and interviews that happen primarily in those three locations.
- Working with the Editor-in-Chief to guide the editorial and creative vision of Autostraddle.com
- Overseeing editorial meetings and planning alongside the Editor-in-Chief
- Assuming the role of Editor-in-Chief in her absence
- Working with the Marketing Director and the Editors to ensure balance between commercial obligations and creative integrity, brainstorming sponsored content, writing copy for ad proposals and attending meetings with clients as needed, as well as assisting in project management for client projects
- Working with Senior Staff to meet daily/weekly/monthly traffic goals
- Working with SEO consultant to identify content opportunities and ensure optimization of current content
- Working with and supporting the Associate Editor with the QTPOC Speakeasy, Autostraddle’s collective for its writers of color
- Writing 4+ posts a month for the website
- Building our network of freelance writers with your own contacts as well as finding, mentoring and guiding our current freelancers and providing editorial support to other Senior Editors
- Along with the editorial team; assigning, developing and editing stories with/from team writers, editors and freelancers
- Consulting with HR and the Senior Staff on company culture initiative, workplace policies and personnel issues
- Representing Autostraddle in person as press or a participant in local events (e.g., GLAAD Awards, press junkets, panels) as well as meetings with other local clients and partners.
- Weighing in on applications and pitches
- In 2020, working with the Executive Editor to develop a specialized e-mail newsletter program
The Ideal Candidate will have 1+ years experience writing and/or editing for a digital publication (besides Autostraddle) as well as experience in:
- Managing people or providing customer service
- SEO, headline writing and analytics tools
- HTML, Google Analytics, Slack, Photoshop and WordPress (or to be a quick learner of online platforms / processes)
- Project management
- Working with freelance writers to develop their skills and talents
- Writing content on a tight turnaround, including crafting clever headlines
- Online community culture and the specific nuances of politically progressive queer spaces
- Social media
- Writing ad pitches or sponsored content
- Intuitive social skills and an outgoing nature
- So many great ideas!
- Flexible and strong communication skills in all formats (email, chat, phone, IRL)
- Impeccable and intuitive writing, editing and copyediting skills
- Self-discipline and self-starter qualities within a remote working capacity
- The ability to bring unique views and well-honed analysis to stories relevant to our community
- Web savvy
Pay: $63k/year salary + $5k signing bonus after 30-day training period, health/dental/vision insurance (employer pays 70% of premium), 401k after six months
Location: Preferably Los Angeles or vicinity, although we’re open to San Francisco or NYC-based applicants or those willing to relocate within six months. You will be working remotely most days.
Deadline to Apply: October 15, 2019
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019