||September 23, 2019
||Newspapers / Wires
SUMMARY: Direct the planning, reporting, writing and design of certain pages and sections by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Takes the lead in coordinating presentation of coverage for daily and Sunday papers; as well as news projects. Collaborates with writers, editors, graphic artists and photographer to accomplish this goal.
- Schedules staff resources and reviews staff performance.
- Is an active member of the newsroom management team and participates in news and planning meetings.
- Maintains or delegates maintenance of the newspaper’s copy and design stylebooks. Keeps them updated and trains staff on their changes.
- Directs weekly departmental planning meeting
- Keeps editor and managing editor up to date on successes and problems within the department
- Makes recommendations for annual departmental budget and capital expenditures
- Monitors and control assigned budget throughout the year.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university.
- At least five years in page design/copy editing/graphic design experience required.
- Experience supervising others in a newsroom setting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Exhibits excellent communication skills and a willingness to collaborate on work across disciplines
- Advanced computer skills that include Quark or InDesign and Word. PhotoShop and Illustrator helpful.
- Ability to design compelling news layouts and provocative/dramatic feature layouts.
- Knowledge of our design stylebook and the AP stylebook.
- Ability to redesign a newspaper on deadline to respond to breaking news.
- Strong copy editing skills (including the ability to write headlines, edit grammar, content and clarity).
- Willing to experiment and be comfortable with changes.
- Set expectations and evaluate performances.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019