||September 23, 2019
||Newspapers / Wires
The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, the largest newspaper and news website in North Dakota and western Minnesota, seeks an energetic and resourceful night editor to masterfully edit afternoon and evening copy, which includes a variety of news and sports content as well as some broadcast script rewriting. This is strictly an editing role, with no page design responsibilities.
This Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper on the Northern Plains reaches more than 30,000 highly-engaged daily readers and boasts the region's most popular news website, averaging more than 10 million pageviews a month. Many of our journalists move on from here to major-market dailies. Those who stay have great opportunities for advancement with us or within our parent company's regional footprint, spanning four Upper Midwest states. And while we value experience, newer journalists with strong work ethics and great editing abilities will be considered for the position, which offers competitive pay and benefits.
- Edit local stories to conform to AP/local style. Stories should be free of grammatical errors or misspellings. They should also be accurate, clear and balanced.
- Write/edit headlines that capture the tone and impact of a story without compromising accuracy. Headlines should be eye-catching and appropriate for the story.
- Manage the print lineup from creation to printing, working as main point of contact for page designers who have questions about budgeted content and space issues.
- Writes news briefs on deadline, adding multimedia components when available.
- Writes or assists writing short-form content as well as longer stories or other audience-appropriate content such as births, bankruptcies, building permits, briefs, divorces, marriage licenses, court records, Namedroppers.
- Upload content to the newspaper website through CMS.
- Process press releases and other reader-submitted information for publication.
- Monitor police and fire scanner, making notes of emergency calls and alerting reporters to breaking news.
- Ensure deadlines and timelines are met to make production schedules.
- Answer phones and handle customer inquiries about the website and newspaper.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Must have a strong knowledge of AP style along with excellent grammar and spelling skills.
- A background or experience in editing is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to multitask and juggle many different projects in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Must be able to edit copy under tight deadlines and follow prescribed style.
- Demonstrate a commitment to increase online reporting and grow digital audience.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Strong organizational skills and an eye for details.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Follow best practices and ethics of responsible journalism.
- Highly motivated and able to work both independently and with other staff.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Able to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Valid driver's license and an insurable driving record
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019